Operation Just Cause Ranger Bringback - AK Strichtarn Chest Pouch

Nkomo

This is something you don't see everyday. In fact, this is one of my "Holy Grail" items and I never thought I'd ever own one.

This is a Strichtarn (East German rain pattern) AK chest pouch that was captured by a Ranger who took part in Operation Just Cause.

It appears to be one of the Nicaraguan made Strichtarn AK chest pouches and it certainly follows the examples being used by the Nicaraguan Army (circa 1980's). However, this piece has some interesting lettering on the back side of the body. FFDD and 200 are stenciled on the back with green paint.. This is an indicator that it was used by the Panamanian Defense Forces. Much of the Panamanian used equipment had this green paint applied showing it was PDF property.

According to photographic evidence, these chest rigs were used by General Noriega's bodyguards.

There is a very good possiblity that this chest rig came from Nicaragua originally and made it's way down to the Panamanian Defense Force.

201181222711_DSCN2512.jpg

Very nice historical piece !!

Thanks, Hink. I was really happy to finally add one of these to my collection, as they are almost impossible to find.

I will also add that this chest rig is TINY. It is so small that when I have it displayed on a mannequin, I can't fasten the back strap. The standard mannequin is too large,

2011812221455_DSCN2511.jpg

Most Panamanians are small compared to us - one of Noriega's uniform shirts is on display at the 82d ABN DIV Museum & it is unbelievable how small it is!

Most Panamanians are small compared to us - one of Noriega's uniform shirts is on display at the 82d ABN DIV Museum & it is unbelievable how small it is!

Thanks for the comment and information, Lewis.

• 2 months later...
Corpsmancollector

Arch,

This is awesome, don't know how I missed it! A really fascinating piece.

Thanks for posting,

Will

Arch,

This is awesome, don't know how I missed it! A really fascinating piece.

Thanks for posting,

Will

Thanks, Will!