1962 F.A. Pouch or just Compass pouch?

Fausto

Hello!

Got this pouch which looks like a standard (and very late...) M1942 First Aid Pouch, made by Union Instrument Corp. in Dec.62 (or maybe 52?). On the back, the long sequence of markings doesn't mention any First Aid Pouch use, but only Lensatic Compass Pouch use. Whas this pouch made "only" for the compass, borrowing a good old design?

Thanks for your help!

Fausto

post-8381-0-35711200-1358593446_thumb.jpg

post-8381-0-42184700-1358593461_thumb.jpg

Boy you got me on that one. I've seen the pouch mated with a compass before for sale at flea markets, Gun shows, Etc. But I haven't seen them marked like that. Robert

Hi Robert! Thanks for your reply. I would just add a couple of things. First, I got on the web a picture of a pouch like this and the date is definitely 3 Dec.62. Second, I checked my FA pouches collection and I found a couple of FA/Compass pouches - one made by Fabric Sales (1953)and one made by Waltham (1952), both with the double designation "Case, First Aid Packet or Lensatic Compass M-1942". So I really wonder why after ten years the very same pouch was made omitting the First Aid and the M-1942 designation...

Fausto

the Fabric Sales, Inc, made one...

post-8381-0-09112000-1358605052_thumb.jpg

On the bottom of the drawer found another curiosity: this time a 1951 made pouch - by C.S. Marston, Inc. - with no designation for the Lensatic Compass, just Pouch, First Aid Packet M-1942...

post-8381-0-08793700-1358605873.jpg

Hi Robert! Thanks for your reply. I would just add a couple of things. First, I got on the web a picture of a pouch like this and the date is definitely 3 Dec.62. Second, I checked my FA pouches collection and I found a couple of FA/Compass pouches - one made by Fabric Sales (1953)and one made by Waltham (1952), both with the double designation "Case, First Aid Packet or Lensatic Compass M-1942". So I really wonder why after ten years the very same pouch was made omitting the First Aid and the M-1942 designation...

Fausto

the Fabric Sales, Inc, made one...

I am sure the First Aid part was omitted because by 1962 they had gone to a different First Aid Pouch (M-56) and this type of pouch was no longer used to carry the First Aid Packet only the compass.

I am sure the First Aid part was omitted because by 1962 they had gone to a different First Aid Pouch (M-56) and this type of pouch was no longer used to carry the First Aid Packet only the compass.

Marines in Vietnam were using this first aid pouch and not the M56 army model.

Thanks guys for your interesting replies...

Anyway the earliest (1959 dated) 1st model M-56 First Aid Pouch I have in collection has the double designation, so we would assume that for two or three years the old M-1942 without First Aid specification and the new M-56 saw service together to carry the compass...What do you think?

And by the way, Justin, were the Marines in Vietnam using the old M-1942 pouch for both bandage and compass?

Thanks!

Fausto

post-8381-0-12069000-1358622059_thumb.jpg

craig_pickrall

You will need to verify this but I have read it several times and think it is reasonable. When orders were placed for compasses to these various makers the order usually included the pouch for the compass. The compass makers went to the various web gear companies that were capable of making this pouch. Since they were providing them for the compass they had no reason to mention possible first aid use. That wasn't their concern.

You will also see the M56 pouch marked for compass and first aid both.

Thanks Craig!

Another reply accurate and interesting as always... In particular when you refer to compass makers who procured pouches from web gear companies and had them marked as they needed. That's what I suspected but I wasn't sure...

Fausto