Modern Helmets

Awheeler

Thanks guys. I will keep my eyes open for a good ACH. If anyone knows if SF uses anything different, feel free to post.

Thanks guys. I will keep my eyes open for a good ACH. If anyone knows if SF uses anything different, feel free to post.

You'll have to dig for it, but there is a thread with a ton of pics of SF in training/combat with their helmets.

Thanks man. Anyone know what kind of helmet is pictured in No Easy Day? Between pages 112 ans 113, Is that an ACH?

the basic helmet given to standard troops is the Advanced Combat Helmet......it really only has one variation and that it. the MICH is still in production but you mainly see the marines with that one (though theyre basically identical and have the same strength and kevlar class and everything). the special forces guys i worked with wore what almost looks like a skateboarding kevlar helmet. they had some tricked out stuff though because they can buy civilian bith battalion money in a lot of cases where regular army cannot. their trucks were set up differently too, and the rear and top side gunners got kevlars that look almost like MotoCross helmets. now those were cool cause all the gadgets still fit on them and everything, but it covered more of the face and kept a lot of dust out of your mouth because you have almost like a thin filter in there you take out, throw some water on it to clean it, and put it back in.

i just looked at no easy day, yeah thats not an ACH, i think its made by the same people that make Dragon Scale armor but i dont know what the nomenclature is for it. they looked comfortable enough, main thing is theyre a lot lighter especially with extras on the top and mold and tighten more to fit the contours of your head, which helps while holding up NODS and Thermals and etc etc with external battery packs on the back and all. they also from what ive noticed cover the nape area with kevlar a bit more, i think its due to a lot of injuries in a fast paced fast rope from a bird, or a jump, you have the tendency to snap your head back a little bit when you hit ground, especially if youre fully loaded. they dont seem to offer as much protection though, the groups we worked with had a lot of TBI and head related injuries comparatively speaking.