Captured & Signed Kriegsmarine Flag

History Man

I don't look for German items usually but when the family offered this to me I couldn't pass. I received this in the mail on Wednesday from the family of the vet who brought it home. It was found in a bank by the vet, photographed with the unit, and then signed. I have yet to find out which division he was with. I am working with the family to acquire the vets uniforms,etc later next week.

The flag is linen and marked with the eagle denoting naval use. It in good shape with the rope still there and slight mothing. This is the first KM flag that I have seen signed. It is signed by all men in the unit with name and hometown. There is also a photo of them holding the flag when it was found (the vet is the man with the helmet standing to the left).

Philip

post-25965-0-58156200-1358556883.jpg

Nice flag.Intresting research project.I had a signed party banner oce from the 101st Field Artillery.Must have had over a 100 plus signatures.Even the battalions commander.

Lastly the flag with the unit back in '45.

This is an enhanced copy of the original photo, I will be receiving the original in the mail soon.

post-25965-0-77065300-1358557219.jpg

Thank you, it displays very well as its still in good shape with vibrant colors. I will post a pic of the original photo when it arrives.

Philip