WWII VII Corps 10th CIC bringback grouping

Timberwolf

I had posted this in the grouping sections not to long about, but really hadn't gotten a large response. I was kind of surprised as most people like CIC stuff.

This is group is mostly German stuff, but all from the same vet with pics of him. Mods I hope this doesn't get deleted as it would be a real shame. I also am calling him by his nickname since he is still living.

I acquired this grouping in December of 2010. I had learned about Mr. Lucky through my coworkers. They were friends with his grandson, and had heard Mr. Lucky for over a year before I got to meet him. He actually only lives a few blocks away from my house. He served with VIIth Corps in the 10th CIC detachment. He was initially trained as a clerk in the air corps, but was transferred to a CIC unit. (During his time switching units he applied for the paratroopers but was turned down because he didn’t weight enough and was too short according to the doctor that gave him the physical.) He said they were initially located on the west coast, so he thought they were going to the Pacific, but then he was transferred to the east coast and then to England in preparation for Operation Overlord. He said there he received additional intelligence training from the British. His unit came ashore on Utah Beach he served in many of the battles in the Normandy area and took part in the Liberation of Paris. His unit was very small only having about ten men in it. His unit did recon, made and read maps, but Mr. Lucky also said they would act as infantry if a unit needed some extra help.

His unit later took part in the battle for Aachen, Germany (the same battle in which my grandfather’s division the 104th, took part in under VIIth Corps.) He participated in the Battle of the Bulge. He said they were trying to find the SS men that had committed the Malmendy Massacre, and he said they would try to find guys with the blood type tattoo. His unit went into the Nordhausen Concentration Camp where the V-2 rockets were being produced. He took many photographs of the camp and the devastation that took place there. He said after VE day one of the guys in his unit was accidentally killed when a Thompson SMG went off during weapon maintenance. Mr. Lucky said he would ship all sorts of souvenirs and also money to his folks. He said he sold a few things on the black market, mostly foodstuffs. I asked him how did he get bulk food items and he said “If you take care of the cooks, they’ll take care of you”. He recalled that after a certain point you could only send home the money that the army paid you so that ended him selling things.

He's really a great guy to speak with. His wife's brothers also served in WWII. One was KIA on the USS Houston as part of the USMC ship's detachment. The other was a paramarine and later served in the 5th Marine Div.

014-2.jpg

His grouping, he cut the breast eagles from uniforms. The collar litzen is chaplain piped which is pretty cool. The photos on the bottom are from Nordhousen and also some from the Bulge.

013-3.jpg

He said he got this "Kharkov" Parka off a Russian soldier he met. He said he also brought back a German uniform but gave it to the neighbor kids a long time ago! Also he said the last time he wore this was for shoveling snow back in the 80's!

IMAG0054.jpg

Holding an MP-44 during the Bugle. One the back of the photo he calls it a Jerry B.A.R.

IMAG0055.jpg

He's using a Mp-40 magazine pouch for his Thompson!

Hope you all enjoy!-Ben

Great grouping. Nice story and pictures of this vet. I had to laugh about giving the German uniform to "the neighbor's kids." Doh!

24th_infantry

Ben,

You always have the nicest items! I am extremely jealous of you lol. I love the Russian parka. Its great seeing people keeping history alive and passing down the stories.

Thanks guys! The cool thing is he lives a few blocks away, so I can go pick his brain. I just haven't gotten to visit him because this past semester has been crazy!