Engraved NAVY Purple Heart

Hobza

Hi all,

this is my first topic in this year so happy new year to everyone!

At the end of last year I had to sell Navy PH from my collection because of other medal which I had a chance to get thanks to one forum member.

Now I´ve been offered to buy other PH back to my collection. I´d like to show it to you and ask you for some information.

It is Navy type 1 Heart complete with case. It is engraved:

Jim B. Stinson

AM2c

USN

I tried to search by Google but I didn´t find anything. Only on www.wwiimemorial.com I found he died on Monday, August 24, 1942. I "googled" what happend that day and I found out that it was Battle of the Eastern Solomons.

Stinson´s rank was Aviation metal smith 2nd class. - My question is: did I done it right? Was he killed in this battle on USS Enterprise (CV-6)?

What I was thinking: Enterprise was damaged this day... His rank was aviation metal smith (this is why I think he was on carrier)... And he died on this day...

Of course everything can be in other way. I didn´t find anything, I was just thinking. Can anybody help me with this research?

Thank you very much

Lubos

post-8933-0-11566500-1358549191.jpg

Happy New Year to you too! You have a very nicely engraved PH. Thanks for showing it and the information you have already. Good luck with your search. Bob

I just caught this PH on ebay before it was pulled. It was over $1700 after I backed out of bidding. I did some research and found that he was listed as being part of squadron VT-3(torpedo squadron) onboard the enterprise.

He enlisted in Los Angeles 10/10/1939. Was on Pennsylvania BB-38 til mid 1941-last muster roll on Ancestry.com shows him in Pearl Harbor on 12/31/1941. Nice PH!

He was not a flyer. He was part of the VT-3 squadron maintenance crew. In other words he worked on the squadron's aircraft. He was killed on the USS Enterprise during a Japanese boming attack. It is a nice early heart, but not for $1700.00. That is why I passed on it when it was offered to me, after the auction ended. Although if you are paying in Euros, it is only really costing around $1275.00 US. At that price I think you are OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thank you very much for information, which I could not probably find. Where can I write for his service records? My friend from USA would wrote there but I don´t know how it works... What to send, how to pay for it. etc...

I´m sending you better pics of medal.

Thank you.

Lubos

post-8933-0-01009600-1359587750_thumb.jpg