Yves Debay KIA

frederik.geudens

frederik.geudens

This probably didn't make the evening news worldwide but at least it did here in Belgium.

Today the Belgian war correspondent and photographer Yves Debay (58) was killed by sniper fire while covering fighting between Syrian opposition forces and the regime's army.

Many of us might know Yves as the (co-) author of several (photo-) books and articles on subjects as the US Marines, US military hardware, Operation Desert Shield/Storm, etc.

Yves also used to work for RAIDS magazine and started ASSAULT magazine in 2005.

RIP, Yves! You will remain with us through all your great books, articles and photos.

1358506806278_YVES_DEBAY.jpg

RIP. I grew up idolising his reports in Combat and Survival as well as the old English version of RAIDS.

445th Bomb Group

That’s sad news. I’ve owned and enjoyed many of Yves Debay’s books over the years; he was an excellent writer and photographer.

Although I did not share his beliefs, I met him once with Andrei and he was a real nice guy. Someone crazy enough to set up a muppet show with a Kermit doll for the Mujahidins in Afghanistan will be sorely missed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Fender Rhodes

What a shame. I grew up collecting his books and sometimes they were the only information you could get on newly emerging actions, especially from a geardo's POV.

RIP Yves.

R/

FR