M1A1 Thompson deactivated

elvis3006

Here are some pictures of my deactivated M1A1 Thompson. Unfortunetly in Canada we can only own the dewat versions of this classic firearm.00110.jpg00210.jpg00310.jpg00510.jpg00610.jpg

with the latest debacle here in New York State deactivated may be the only version of a firearm we can acquire. I see many deactivated arms for sale by European collectors. What is a good source in the USA for deactivated firearms?

Joe

You are not alone. Same here in the UK! Mine is identical to yours. It's de-activated but I can still strip it, drop the mag and dry-fire it etc., so it's not all bad news!

Thats a Super looking M1A1 Thompson Submachine Gun you have got there

she looks sweet and looks to have never been used its in Excellent looking Condition Very Nice. ;)

De-Acts sure can be Re-Activated depending on the Spec of the Deactivation it has,!! as i know in the UK

It has been changed around the deactivated Specs" in the 1980's Versions old De-acts were better that the ones Deactivated

in 2004 by the Gun Smiths in Birmingham & London the older ones you can stripp right down and assimble

and the ones after i think 04" they are all welded including the barrels and Kocking Handles at the sides

so there just like a Toy not much good.

Once you have the Original Parts and know you stuff about Firearms and know people :) its never a problem

i see parts from time to time available on the Net you can still get the Original Parts for them or if you attend gun shows

and travel around for them, some also have the firing Pin Removed as well from the Guns that are De-Activated.

Tomas is right about the different types of de-activation here in the UK. We refer to them as "old spec / new spec". Fortunately, all of my WW2 US firearms are "old spec" which means that although de-activated, the can be cocked, stripped dry-fired etc. "New" spec de-acts, on the other hand, are pretty much welded up, as Tomas says. Naturally, all collectors want/prefer the "old spec" weapons. This has driven prices for such weapons right up. For example, my pristine "old spec" WW2 Winchester M1 rifle would sell for in excess of £1000 / $1500. Every cloud has a silver lining! :)

post-8022-0-02484100-1358628869_thumb.jpg

Great looking Thompson.Out of curiosity how much does something like that cost? Like JosephC stated, her in good ole' NY a de-activated is all we would be able to get.I don't think I've ever seen one for sale here.

Thank you for the compliments. I believe there is a business in the US called IMI or IMA? They have deactivated weapons and they are done to BATF deact standards. My M1A1 was recently deactivated and was bought from a gentleman who was licensed to own full auto firearms here. The barrel is welded to the reciever and plugged, the bolt face has been ground down so as to be unable to feed or extract a round, and the upper and lower reciever has been discreetly welded together. So i cannot field strip it but i can work the action back and forth and remove the mag. Previous dewats here in Canada could be field stripped just currently they cant. I had the M1A1 sent to a gunsmith who re parkerized it for me. Laws here are crazy, i can own a newly made semi auto sten gun or a semi auto MP44 aka BD44 to name a few but when it comes to the Thompson class of firearms we cannot. Oh and the total cost along with re park was $2,250.00 Cdn dollars.

WOW. I actually thought it would have been more.That doesn't seem as bad as I thought.

I agree some up here are pretty pricey.....but my wife sure flipped at the cost anyway :D

Funny thing is we can't own deactivated full auto weapons in the US without the license that allows one to own a live auto weapon. The BATF considers the reciever the same as if it is active. You can buy dummy guns made form parts kits on solid receivers. It's generally felt that the receiver can be roughly 80% fnished, however that is up to the ATF who can decide if it is too easy to complete or not, and if so will confiscate it and/or arrest you. .

Yes, I know, it's kind of stupid. But unless the weapon was registered previously under the National Firearms Act, and all the paperwork and pain that goes with that, a full auto receiver is a full auto receiver, unless torched into pieces. You cannot register one that you find in an attic, and the only legal things you can do with one that you find is cut up the receiver, turn it into the police, or donate it to an approved musuem. This is why fully automatic weapons that are registered and legal to own don't get ysed in crimes: they are too valuable!