Thompson with Drum, Thompson & BAR, Shanghai, China 1937

kanemono

Hi Dirk,

These pictures are being sold on ebay. The seller has broken up a wonderful Soochow Creek album. It's a shame.

Dick

Charlie Flick

Those are indeed very cool photos.

I wonder how the Marines in 1937 carried spare magazines for the Thompson? In photo number 2 above (the street scene) it looks like the Marine with the Thompson has a bag of some type carried by a strap. It does not look to me to be a gas mask bag. Is he carrying spare mags in that bag??

The photo further down of the TSMG positioned horizontally is also interesting for showing a leather M1907 rifle sling on the gun. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

Thanks for the post.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Dick,

Since unfortunately the seller has chosen to break up the album (and yes, it is his to do whatever he wants to), we appreciate you posting them here before they are lost to oblivion in some "advanced collector's" collection. At least that what it always seems to happen. IMHO, these are meant to be shown and appreciated on a venue like this, unless they are going to be used in a book, or something like that. Thank you!

Corpsmancollector

Truly amazing photos, thanks for posting. What a shame the album is being broken up, though hopefully they might make it into publication one day!

Will

Dick,

Since unfortunately the seller has chosen to break up the album (and yes, it is his to do whatever he wants to), we appreciate you posting them here before they are lost to oblivion in some "advanced collector's" collection. At least that what it always seems to happen. IMHO, these are meant to be shown and appreciated on a venue like this, unless they are going to be used in a book, or something like that. Thank you!

Agreed. I just wish that the guys who break up photo albums, take patches off uniforms, etc would look at the greater historical good rather than an immediate couple of bucks

It is very unfortunate. I don't really understand why people do this....just plain greed I guess.....I also don't really care who that upsets. I'm a bit more partial to this because I also have an album from my great grandfathers tour there in the Navy and shanghai, and I just couldn't imagine who could break up the set.....