US Signal Battalion NCO, ETO Spoils of War

trenchbuff

This little group is a recent basement find from a house just down the block from me. Although the vet passed away in the 80s and I never had the pleasure of knowing him, I'm sure our paths crossed. He was the manager of a school supply company and the only place in my town that sold riker mounts. I used to spend a lot of time and lawnmowing money at his place of business. This gentleman served in one of the Signal Battalions in Europe that was attached to the 2nd, 15th and 4th Corps at various times during the war. Although I have not discovered which one, I believe it was a mobile unit based on the extensive group of photographs that came with this group. There are a couple snapshots taken at Dachau, but the bulk of the photos are from Austria and the Obersalzburg. Included are many shots of Hitler's Eagle's Nest. According to the family, the 2 large flags with this group came from the compound where Hitler's "Berghof" was located. He was also awarded the Bronze Star for meritorious service for developing a wiring board which the Army adapted as standard. The photos certainly back that story up. Enjoy the photos.

post-944-0-50356400-1358537242_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-57987500-1358537258_thumb.jpg

The 2 very large Nazi flags that he brought home as spoils of war. They most likely came from Hitler's "Berghof" compound as there were both German Government offices as well as an SS barracks located there. Neither of the flags look like that saw much use.

post-944-0-28543300-1358537632_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-64137100-1358537641_thumb.jpg

Can't say much about the flags but the reat of the groupnig is very nice.

Captured flags have been a favorite with soldiers since before Napoleon.