722 squadron / 450 bomb group ( Italy )

Nellis

I found a picture of this patch being worn. I have an Ike from a mechanic who was in the 722nd and this patch was part of the grouping. Are they worth much ? Thanks.

post-782-0-54061100-1358527683.jpg

Johnny Signor

Most WW2 Squadron/ Group patches are fairly good collectables and get pretty good $$$ for them if authentic which your's are .

Johnny

One question , are they "decals" or printed on cloth ??????????????????? They both appear to be decals , which were usually applied to leather backing.

The veteran who the patch belonged to was a mechanic. Could he have worn this ? Were squadron patches only put on leather jackets ? Thanks.

Johnny Signor

The mechanics rarely wore leather jackets that I know of ,he probably picked it while with the unit , but most were worn on leather jackets by flight crews , the mechanics usually wore work coveralls and cloth jackets when it was cold .

The mechanics rarely wore leather jackets that I know of ,he probably picked it while with the unit , but most were worn on leather jackets by flight crews , the mechanics usually wore work coveralls and cloth jackets when it was cold .

That makes sense. Would this patch have been made back home or in Italy ?

Thanks.

Johnny Signor

that is a tough one to answer, patches were made in a lot of ways and places, statside and overseas, cloth, felt, leather, decals on leather, multi layer leather, silkscreend onto cloth/leather , incised leather , so it would be kind of difficult to say where they were made, sometime they have on the backs how to apply them and the "makers" would out thier location or logo, see if they have this that may help .............................

Johnny