Coldwar Arctic DEW Line Patch

Wharfmaster

This patch is for the Coldwar period Arctic Distant Early Warning net of radar stations. It was a joint service & national effort to protect North America from Soviet bombers.

It is a large, 5-1/4 inch "flight jacket" size patch of good quality wool felt construction. It is British mfg. with typical black cloth backing. Only one I have ever seen.

Best regards to all.

The Wharfmaster

post-525-0-59210400-1358525132.jpg

That is cool. I don't think this is military, but rather a contractor patch, probably for when the line was built.

Growing up in the 1960's, the DEW line figured prominently in DoD news releases on how they were keeping America safe from the Soviet nuclear threat. I believe even National Geographic did articles on it. There was something exotic about it being placed in the remotest regions of North America.

As an adult, I can't imagine a more tedious assignment. But it still represented a tremendous technological and logistical achievement.

I got out of the Air Force in 1972 and I think it was 1973, I saw an interesting help wanted ad in the newspaper. It was for people with experience with the FRC-39 radio and it was part of the MRC-98 Tropo Scatter system I worked on. The ad was for the ITT Arctic Adventure, working on the DEW line, with tax free high pay. I didn't check it out I could not see going to a remote site without women for a year.

Looks like Canadian manufacture , I've seen some other patches made in the same fashion .

Johnny

Now that you said that, I agree. Still not sure if this is military or contractor.

Thanks very much guys, it may be Canadian made. It had not occurred to me that it could be a contractor patch. Military or civilian, we are talking cold work/duty far from home.

Best regards,

The Wharfmaster

I got out of the Air Force in 1972 and I think it was 1973, I saw an interesting help wanted ad in the newspaper. It was for people with experience with the FRC-39 radio and it was part of the MRC-98 Tropo Scatter system I worked on. The ad was for the ITT Arctic Adventure, working on the DEW line, with tax free high pay. I didn't check it out I could not see going to a remote site without women for a year.

I don't know what's worse having them at a remote site or not having them. I was at Shemya of the 400 people that where there 40 where woman 10 true blue to there husbands 10 already had boy friends on the island 10 ugly as all can be till they started looking good in your 6th or 7th month then you knew it was time to take leave. and the other 10 you had to fight over it just wasn't worth it to me. I just think they where there to remind you what they looked like when you got out of there.