Facial Hair

rosieres64

Geez :D the two on the front row left and second from the left look like Pennsylvania Dutchmen

They might have been, my wife's uncle was in the coast guard patrolling the rivers of Vietnam and he was a PA Dutchman.

Tom Bowers

frederik.geudens

A lot of WW2 re-enactors also do Civil War and they don't like to shave off their 1860s facial hair to adhere to 1940s standards. I've seen it countless times.

Then you have the people who think a goatee is cool. Frankly, I think it looks moronic, but that's just me, and people like that will never shave them off.

And events let it happen all the time, because it's all about getting numbers of people at many events, no matter how bad they need a visit to a barber...

... says the man who sports a picture of Oddball as his avatar :P .

One thing about portraying a ww-2 Correspondent/War Photographer you don't have to worry too much about shaving regulations.
Yes, you can find photos of correspondents with beards and such, but it's still generally the expection. For example, Hemmingway had a long beard before coming to Europe, and his correspondent ID card had him with the beard. But when he put a uniform on, he only ever had a moustache. Any correspondent was subject to military courtesy and law, and they had a grooming standard the same as the soldiers. Otherwise, they ran the rick of being run off by someone with enough brass to kick them out for setting a bad example, appearance-wise.

I've spent a lot of time over the past few years going through photos of correspondents, and the majority of them blended in quite well with the servicement around them. And that includes facial hair (or a lack thereof).