Facial Hair

rosieres64

Yes. You will come across reenactors who abide by military regulation grooming standards, and you will come across some who don't simply because they don't.

Each unit is different with their rules and regulations. The unit I was in was very strict while others pretty much let anything pass.

Each unit is different with their rules and regulations. The unit I was in was very strict while others pretty much let anything pass.

Excuse my ignorance as I am not a reenactor, I'm just basing my answer off of reenactor photos I've seen and grooming standards I adhered to in the military.

Beards were and still are common in the Royal navy and during WW2 the LRDG and SAS in north Africa. I believe USN can sport a beard ???

Submarine crews can

The reason for my question is that I recently saw an individual (reenactor) in the WW II uniform od a 1LT in the 101st Airborne. He wore the wings, CIB and ribbons. He was also wearing a Van Dyke beard.

Just my opinion but if you are going to portray someone in uniform that you should portray them correctly.

Thanks for letting me vent

Wearing medals and ribbons is another thing. Some units won't allow them to be worn because the reenactor didn't earn them, which I agree with. The acception to the rule was if you actually were in the military and actually did earn the awards. If you go to enough events you will see pretty much everything. It can get really embarrasing sometimes. I don't reenact anymore but there were certain units in my area that were known for their lazy attitudes toward the hobby and they eventually started being banned from events. WWII and men wearing ponytails do not mix!

A lot of WW2 re-enactors also do Civil War and they don't like to shave off their 1860s facial hair to adhere to 1940s standards. I've seen it countless times.

Then you have the people who think a goatee is cool. Frankly, I think it looks moronic, but that's just me, and people like that will never shave them off.

And events let it happen all the time, because it's all about getting numbers of people at many events, no matter how bad they need a visit to a barber...

Exception rather than the rule.

Agreed 100% Nothing ruins a good event or impression than a blairing farb with facial hair. Yes, there are always acceptions to the rule but spening a few minutes reading the personal grooming TM would do wonders for some.

Wearing medals and ribbons is another thing. Some units won't allow them to be worn because the reenactor didn't earn them, which I agree with. The acception to the rule was if you actually were in the military and actually did earn the awards. If you go to enough events you will see pretty much everything. It can get really embarrasing sometimes. I don't reenact anymore but there were certain units in my area that were known for their lazy attitudes toward the hobby and they eventually started being banned from events. WWII and men wearing ponytails do not mix!

That's also a touchy subject, while I understand the reasons for and against I'll only tell you guys how our unit does it and why. We have a number of veterans in our group, and we allow them to wear any valor awards they have earned while in the service, provided they can prove it with a DD214. We allow members to wear a CIB if they choose to, after they complete a set number of tactical events with the group. Good conduct and campaign ribbons are issued similarly.

I've never understood why any discussion about specific re-enactors and what is/isn't correct to do will always degress into an argument over wearing of medals or ribbons.

You just can't have a simple discussion about any topic without this one coming up every time.

My favorite RL encounter was with the Battalion's SGM. We had been out in the field about 5 days and I hadn't shaved in that time period because :) it, I'm not shaving with cold water. No one else was either. We go to a warm room for some kind of briefing and the SGM comes walking in. Dude is fully shaved, lives in a nice warm tent and has the balls to look at me like I'm a piece of shinola. Pardon me, I don't have the warm water nor the very comfy tent to sleep in. lol.

For WWII it's important to remember that when it comes to facial hair, the style at the time was to be clean shaven. Sure Clark Gable had a pencil thin mustache, but look at just about everyone in a crowd photo (not military but civilian) and you'll see that very nearly everbody was clean shaven or wearing just the neatest closely trimmed beard or mustashe. In fact the mark of a "hillbilly" was a beard and nobody wanted to look like that! Styles follow into the Army wether it's sideburns in the 1860s or Afros in Vietnam or tatoos in the 1990s. So the dominant culture of the young men who served in WWII was to be clean shaven, and although in one of the most photographed wars in history, it is always possible to find the unusual photo showing just about anything, it's always better to go with the norm not the exception.

Tom Bowers

Unless you are portraying the French Foreign Legion Pioneers having a beard wouldn't be proper.

if you were reenacting the Bulge perhaps

vtn_8210.jpg

Beards were obviously not a problem for the Coast Guard in Vietnam!

As a part-time reenactor, I always shave my goatee before taking photos though. Then it takes about one month to be restored to its former glory, not a big deal.

vtn_8210.jpg

Beards were obviously not a problem for the Coast Guard in Vietnam!

As a part-time reenactor, I always shave my goatee before taking photos though. Then it takes about one month to be restored to its former glory, not a big deal.

Geez :D the two on the front row left and second from the left look like Pennsylvania Dutchmen