26th Infantry Division bring backs

mvmhm

These are the spoils brought back by a 26th ID Vet who served after the war in Austria.

post-2-0-98707800-1358483481.jpg

Mark sends

PS:

Thanks to the Mods for giving this a chance! And MEMBERS! FOLLOW THE RULES!!!!!

There's more coming...two days ago I got a bunch of currency he picked up through Europe, and next he's mailing a sword and bayonet.

Mark sends

Patriot seems to be responding to nearly all of them

Just found the forum.

I have always liked the idea that the trophys are just that, legitimate war trophys taken from a defeated enemy. Not looted illigetimately as the PC crowd would have people believe. The stuff brought back by my Dad and Uncles weren't stolen. It was all taken from dead or defeated enemy soldiers and are a real part of their combat experiences. I like it all guys.

I received the last of this soldier's war trophies....a German Army officers dove head sword made by E&F Horster, a French Model 1886/16 (I think) Lebel bayonet (which needs a LOT of TLC; the only marking is on the crossguard which is "o&p"), and a grouping of lead toy soldiers, which I believe are mostly Barclays and Manoil....here's the pig-stickers...the sword has some "goop" on it, which I though was rust when I first saw the pictures, but it flakes off with a fingernail - which is what you see on the grip...I'll need to find a scabbard for the sword though.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-42238000-1359137184_thumb.jpg

post-3423-0-70769200-1359137191.jpg

The toy soldiers also need some TLC..I might try my hand a repainting some of them just to see how they look, then decide whether to refinish them all...there are also some civilian ones in the mix..the guy at the very top middle is a Navy deck gunner.

post-3423-0-24594900-1359137334_thumb.jpg

..and the last group, which has a sailor (top row left), a nurse (top row, 2nd from right), and a pilot (middle row, 2nd from left)..the machine gunner on the middle row far right, was decapitated when I opener the box (none of them were wrapped individually)...

post-3423-0-78790700-1359137481_thumb.jpg

24th_infantry

Very nice! A buddy of mine served in the YD during the war and was stationed in Lintz, Austria after the war. Where in Austria was the vet from? It would be funny if they were in the same regiment.

• 8 months later...

The collar tabs are for a political leader...the medals are the 15 and 25 year Nazi party Faithful Service Crosses...when I collected nothing but German stuff, the 10 and 15 year crosses were not too difficult to find - especially the 10 year - but the 25 year was always hard...even more so when it's mint and in the original box. You gotta hand it to the Germans on that count.....they always had nice looking uniforms and associated bling.

Mark sends