Question about new gun laws and antique firearms

mmerc20

Persian Gulf Command

If I may express my experience as a resident of rural New York State.

I have had a handgun permit for 30 years on which I have WWII and modern handguns. I have always needed to have record of all sales and purchases or needed a licensed dealer to act as an agent in a purchase or sale of a handgun. This has always cost a few extra dollars but the dealers I have established a relationship with deserve to earn a fee for their service that benefited my handgun collecting. I also have several long guns that were my grandfathers, then my fathers, and are now mine. This represents nearly a hundred years of gun ownership. I have a WWII M1 Garand that I have displayed on this forum, a gun that I can still legally own and shoot in a safe and responsible manner.

I have never or now feel that my rights as a gun collector have been violated.

If I may express my experience as a resident of rural New York State.

I have had a handgun permit for 30 years on which I have WWII and modern handguns. I have always needed to have record of all sales and purchases or needed a licensed dealer to act as an agent in a purchase or sale of a handgun. This has always cost a few extra dollars but the dealers I have established a relationship with deserve to earn a fee for their service that benefited my handgun collecting. I also have several long guns that were my grandfathers, then my fathers, and are now mine. This represents nearly a hundred years of gun ownership. I have a WWII M1 Garand that I have displayed on this forum, a gun that I can still legally own and shoot in a safe and responsible manner.

I have never or now feel that my rights as a gun collector have been violated.

I think you just hit the nail on the head there. Here in Canada we have had bad firearm laws for decades. I grew up with these laws and followed them to the letter in every transaction I have ever made. I have imported firearms from the US decades ago and also followed current law at that time to the letter. I have never had any problems with this at all. For the vast majority of firearms owners in the USA the new laws will be a severe encroachment upon their rights as Americans and I fully understand and appreciate that. From observation, it appears that states can enact laws either parallell to or opposite to federal law. We do not have that luxury here in Canada...federal law is nation wide, though administered provincially through limited federal funding. Interesting sidenot is that a province can "opt out" of a federal law, though will lose federal funding as a result. Like being punished for not toeing the line!!!

Our antique laws are somewhat similar witht he age factor though include a designation for caliber. If the ammunition is "not readily available" then the firearm can be classed as antique.

Intersting discussion.

history-buff1944

It's to early to tell at the federal level. It's the state level you need to worry about. NY is a prime example.

True, but thanfully that will not happen in Texas, Oregon and other States as their Governors have already stated--as well as hundreds of Sheriffs Depts across the Country--as well as many lawmakers in said States--they will NOT--be enforcing such laws nor will allow the Feds to be on their lands and try to enforce them. Several Sheriffs and such said they will arrest and prosecute fed violators. The jist of it all is--that they--as well as the elected ones--ALL have sworn to uphold and protect the Constitution and obey laws. In short--the feds are trying to break their oaths by enforcing the new proposed bans.

A wise man stated many times "Wait and see" im waiting and watching. ;-)) In the mean time--im looking for a nice repo M1911 A1 GI Mil Spec .45 with OD green parkerization to buy--perhaps two of them.

PS, sorry if anything I said above seems political--it was NOT meant to be. Im only quoting about things that have been said and can happen to protect OUR rights.

"I have never or now feel that my rights as a gun collector have been violated."

Oh where to begin on that statement........ ALL I'll say is that is why I moved out of N.Y. in 2000 I don't just collect I shoot including modern arms

I am trying not to make this political so I will stop while I am ahead.....

Persian Gulf Command

I will not say any more about this subject as I feel I have expressed my opinions/experiences already. However, I must respond to the comments that have been leveled by KABAR2. I learned to shoot using the same Remington model 6 .22 that my father used in the 1930’s. This same weapon was used by my sons as they learned to shoot and hunt. I am not only a collector. We are a family of hunters.

So as a final contribution to this thread allow me to reiterate that in New York State I can: 1 – Collect Rifles and Handguns, 2 – Hunt everything from bear to ducks, 3 – Ad to my firearm collection at any time I wish and shoot those weapons in a safe and responsible manner.

So as a final contribution to this thread allow me to reiterate that in New York State I can: 1 – Collect Rifles and Handguns, 2 – Hunt everything from bear to ducks, 3 – Ad to my firearm collection at any time I wish and shoot those weapons in a safe and responsible manner.

Will the new law "allow" you to collect M1 Carbines? I seriously don't know the answer.

history-buff1944

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or collecting or the National Guard.

It is about armed resistance to government.

Exactamundo.

Like a gent said above, ill stop while im ahead ;-))

Persian Gulf Command

Although I stated that I would cease further comment I am compelled to answer a direct question posed by HINK441. This information is obtained directly from the New York State web site: http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq posted here for those wanting more information.

Any gun or magazine that was manufactured 50 years ago or more (before 1963), which qualifies as an assault weapon, can be bought or sold at any time. However, a 50 year old assault weapon and magazine will need to be registered by going to your local State Police Barracks and filling out a form. Once registered the 50 year old assault weapon can be freely transferred to any individual without a criminal record.

Specifically, regarding the M1 carbine, this rifle is not listed as an assault weapon. Therefore, I assume that there are no restrictions on the M1 carbine. However, you may only have 7 rounds in the magazine at any time unless you are at a licensed shooting range.

This time I mean it. See you on the helmet or uniform topics!!!!!

philliephanatic

Persian Gulf, I am sorry to bother you and drag you back onto this post. I am confused by the listings you have posted from the New York Government site. The M-1 Rifle isn't on there but it does have the bayonet lug which is one of the characteristics of an "assault weapon" do you know if they have to be registered?

Persian Gulf Command

Hello philliephanatic,

That's a good question. When the law was signed I called a local gun shop and they said the Garand was considered an antique so it would not need to be registered. The M1 is not on the list of assault weapons. However, as the M1 has a bayonet lug it seems that it may in fact be considered an assault weapon by the provisions of the definition. I'll call the State Police and find out. In either case I am positive that the M1 will not become a banned rifle in NYS because of its date of manufacture.