Question about new gun laws and antique firearms

mmerc20

Please no political discussions here. I don't want the thread to be locked. We all have our opinions on what's happening right now, lets not bring them up.

With the possible closing of the imaginary "gun show loophole" (please again, no debates on this) does anyone have any idea if this would affect private sales of WWII era firearms or is it too early to tell?

Mike

At shows, yes.

Between pals, no, I can't imagine it.

If someone gives you guff because you aren't the owner anymore, you'd only have to say, "Hey, I did it before it was legally required" and there's no way anyone would know any better...

Yes, it will. Essentially the new "universal background check" law as proposed would require the transfer of any modern firearm (post 1898 manufacture) to undergo a background check, even private sales from individual to individual.

It'd be nice if they kept that date rolling. Don't know the last time a crime was committed with a 1911 production 22 Winchester pump, or 03.

We are NOT talking about New York, the original poster was asking about the sale and exchange of WWII era military weapons and what potential issues we could face as collectors. I know it's hard to restrain yourself from making this political or to make some sort of a comparison but, please try guys. Don't make us lock this one up.

I am frustrated like a lot of people and some have very strong opinions which is why I initially stated to not let this turn political. I really don't want it locked. I am very curious if I will no longer be able to sell my WWII firearms without somehow doing a check on the buyer. I have to wonder if the C&R list might be exempt from the background checks. Really, who knows what is going to happen in the end.

Mike

I have to wonder if the C&R list might be exempt from the background checks. Really, who knows what is going to happen in the end.

Mike

A C&R licensee has already completed the background check appropriate for the C&R license (a form of FFL, but with greater limitations than an 01 FFL; 01 FFL is a licensed gun dealer). Therefore, a C&R holder is exempt from further background check when buying a C&R eligible firearm, as the law works today.

I think at this stage it's too early to tell how these PROPOSED laws will affect sales between individuals (note this was not one of the 23 Executive Actions signed today). The only thing certain at this stage is that there will be changes...what those will look like depend on numerous factors beyond the scope of this thread.

Death and taxes, the only certainties in life.

Steve

If you don't live in New York State I wouldn't begin to worry just yet. Federal gun laws must go through the House of Representatives and currently they can't blow their collective noses' without an argument on party lines. Western states if they change anything at all will grandfather most everything. If you are worried that in future, gun laws will become more sane, then the answer is yes ,they probably will. If you need a high capacity, assault type rifle for any reason, best get in line and buy it soon.

The title and Post #1 don't match--- Be aware, in the US TODAY, WW2 firearms are NOT antiques. That term in law is preserved for older weapons, I think (don't quote me on this) produced prior to 1897. Thus, WW2 items come under all the same regulations as current production stuff. Doc

On the proposed list that I originally got, the very first gun on the list was the M1 Carbine. The problem with these presidential decrees is that first they are not laws and there is some constitutionality as to whether they have to be followed. Presidential orders are normally used to modify how the Executive Branch operates, not how the people operate. Even if they do hold, the likely hood that they will be enforced with any vigor is minimal. Let's face it here, drugs have been illegal for how many decades and LEA can't seem to put a dent in that. At the individual levels, these decrees will only keep the super-honest honest. The burden of proof will be on the .gov to prove that you had a weapon before the decrees. I will make a bet that the number of guns displayed on this forum will shrink dramatically.

what guns. I don't have any guns!

Me neither. Unfortunately, majority of mine we lost when whitewater rafting. The others were stolen by da bears when camping later that night, while we huddled around the campfire to dry out from the raft that capsized earlier.

The burden of proof will be on the .gov to prove that you had a weapon before the decrees.

I respectfully disagree. The MoH issue is a prime example of 'guilty until proven innocent' enforcement. Yes, you can have anything that you had prior to the change.. but the burden is on you to have evidence to support that claim.

At this point of course it is still speculation as to how any actual legislation will look, and if it will or will not pass.

(That is the self-censored and highly edited apolitical, bland, short version of an otherwise very passionate and colorful rant on these topics.)

(That is the self-censored and highly edited apolitical, bland, short version of an otherwise very passionate and colorful rant on these topics.)

You done good Jeff, congratulations! ;)

I hate to say it, but the new laws look a lot like what we've had in California for a while. All purchases (even private party) have to be handled via an FFL dealer and have a 2 week waiting period as well as a "test" to show the FFL dealer that the buyer knows how to handle the weapon. I know this is an anathema to some ("OMG, I can't walk into a gun shop and walk out with a gun!!!") but I've survived buying my last batch of guns under these conditions and I am still alive, still have a pulse, and have added some really nice guns in my collection. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't have a problem with people having to get a gun license, have background checks, and the like. At least they aren't mandating that all guns be turned into non-guns like our UK friends.

I don't see this as the end of the world...yet.