101st Abn Vietnam Flight Helmet

hawk3370

This is my helmet worn while flying with D Co, 101st Aviation Battalion, 101st Airborne Division in 1971-72. The insignia was painted by one of the crew chiefs just prior to my leaving country.

post-6022-0-84449100-1358349687_thumb.jpg

post-6022-0-29024500-1358349717_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting; it is interesting to see the early mike boom (without the multi-directional ball) still in use in 71-72. I guess the later booms, usually found on 1971 dated helmets, never made it to Vietnam.

Was D Co out of Camp Eagle? My father was with HHc 1st Bde at Eagle 69-70, recalls some Cobras there at El Toro Pad.

We were at Phu Bai which was about 5 miles from Eagle as I recall. The Cobras there were most likely ARA or CAV as D-101 was the only assualt gun company in the division.

We were at Phu Bai which was about 5 miles from Eagle as I recall. The Cobras there were most likely ARA or CAV as D-101 was the only assualt gun company in the division.

Copy, I think I do recall him saying 2/17 Cav was there. He has a pic of a pair of snakes flying over Eagle. He was a slick and loach guy himself, always loved Cobras though. He wasn't so lucky with his SPH-4 like you were. He never got to take his home so all I have is pictures of it but I have his APH-5 he had prior to being issued the SPH. I would have loved to have his SPH-4 and 2 piece flight suit he had in Nam in my collection.

Hi Terry,

That is a great helmet. I love the personalized ones . Like Mohawk above said , you are lucky to have been able to save your helmet for all this time. Thanks for your service.

Regards, Mitch

Hi Terry,

That is a great helmet. I love the personalized ones . Like Mohawk above said , you are lucky to have been able to save your helmet for all this time. Thanks for your service.

Regards, Mitch

For whatever reason when I would transfer from one unit to another they never had me turn in any of my flight equipment. As a result I have about 8 sets of nomex two piece flight suits, nomex gloves my helmet from 1968 when I flew with the 240th AHC (which has the maddog emblem on the back posted a couple years ago on the helmet forum), knee board etc. TOE equipment was another story, had to turn in my web gear and m-1 helmets, sleeping gear etc.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled my helmet out of the bag the other day. It is a Sierra Engineering Co.. SPH-5 (FSN 8415-782-3036) with a boom mike. I'm not sure when I picked one up as I know I had what we called the Mickey Mouse helmets with the larger ear bulges and articulated mikes. I still have my CW2 name tag on it. Came back from 2nd tour in late '70. Only ended up with one Nomex 2 piece suit and about 3 of the old gray 1sies.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in "C" Company "Black Widows" which was next door to the "Delta Hawks" 1970-71 and was the Avionics Chief. Nice helmet, I also still have all my flight gear.... Thanks for your service....

I was in "C" Company "Black Widows" which was next door to the "Delta Hawks" 1970-71 and was the Avionics Chief. Nice helmet, I also still have all my flight gear.... Thanks for your service....

The Black Widows line of huts was just across the sidewalk from ours. Great bunch of soldiers.

Does this bring back any memories, taken during the monsoon season in 70. The Black Widow huts are on the right as I recall.

Terry

post-6022-0-44838700-1361155347.jpg