Original ranger helmet

Normandy1944

looks like a DDAY helmet like they used in the movie Saving Private Ryan?

for some reason this is the most copied helmet on the market, everybody wants to be Capt Miller

definitely a Fake

post-1885-0-96593400-1358279799.jpg

I think it's a front seam, photo #3 seems to show it as a front seam. Not that it matters as the paint job is the question is really about.

The helmet itself looks to be original but the paint screams fake. I have also seen these types of helmets faked like no tomorrow.

Philip

Other then the example Ken just posted I've only seen two other original ones. Both from private parties and not in a museum or posted on an open forum like this. So I've only seen three, there may be a few more out there!

Johan Willaert

Bear in mind that Lomell's helmet was painted late during WW2 upon his battlefield commission as a second lieutenant and hence the marking albeit original WW2 is not representative of the average helmet marking at the time of the Normandy invasion...

post-473-1181382262.jpg

The helmet of Leonard Lomell, 100% original WWII quality piece.

Nice looking helmet Ken! Is the liner in the shell backwards or am I just seeing things?

Rick

I heard that the "diamond" on the back of a Rangers helmet was painted so they could follow each other during night operations, is that true?

I have only ever seen 5 100% Original WWII Ranger Helmets in exestence

and 2 Forum Members on his forum have 2 of them in there own Private Collection.

Ironic isn't it? If Lomell's helmet wasn't in a museum and just turned up on the forum, people would probably holler "Fake!" because it's a rather crudely done paint job!

Hey Ian I know there's a few second ranger helmets in museums that definitely appear to be modern aged helmets simply for the sake of displaying one ;)

Johan Willaert

So with the real McCoy the white follow me stripe is painted over the diamond?

No, not necessarily...

To get a clear idea of correct Ranger helmet markings, one needs to study the few pictures that show them, along with some surviving examples which BTW are far less in number than one would think...