what is this ?

littlebuddy

It was originally a USAAF item, with a designation I do no recall.

However, during the Korean War, they were issued to Marines, as part of their cold weather gear. I got one from a vet of the Chosin Reservoir event, where he had worn TWO of them.

oh right !!! well that is a turn up for the books !! i did look in the sweating book but i must have overlooked the bit about these !! what was the page number ??? regards carl

• 9 months later...

It was originally a USAAF item, with a designation I do no recall.

However, during the Korean War, they were issued to Marines, as part of their cold weather gear. I got one from a vet of the Chosin Reservoir event, where he had worn TWO of them.

This was created speciifically for the Marines in the Korean War and looks a bit like the old AAF vest, but it is not the same item and is made differently. It is lined with alpaca.

When we first started the forum the common assumption was that these were AAF vests, but we were able to show that this was a unique piece of Marine gear: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6310

Can you show pictures of any tags?

They often did not have a tag, sometimes just a hanger loop. But when there was a tag it looked like these (one well-worn, one intact):

post-214-1181867328.jpg

So are we saying that it is not AAF then ?? just so that i can be sure !

thanks for all the info !!!

LB

So are we saying that it is not AAF then ??

Absolutely not AAF: it is Marine Corps. If you didn't get a chance to read it yet, check out the thread I linked to above.

Absolutely not AAF: it is Marine Corps. If you didn't get a chance to read it yet, check out the thread I linked to above.

thanks Bob i cant get that link to open regarding this item

LB

It is pictured in Glen Sweeting's COMBAT FLYING CLOTHING, but he cites no designation and observes it has no label or known (to him) nomenclature.

Thats the bit that had me puzzled !!

Thats the bit that had me puzzled !!

When we started this forum in 2006 there were some assumptions often based on something written in just one book. But, as we began to bring together US militaria collectors from all over the world were able to prove many of those assumptions were wrong. The AAF vests we've seen have buttons and pockets, while the Marine vests have zippers and no pocket.

When we started this forum in 2006 there were some assumptions often based on something written in just one book. But, as we began to bring together US militaria collectors from all over the world were able to prove many of those assumptions were wrong. The AAF vests we've seen have buttons and pockets, while the Marine vests have zippers and no pocket.

Bob when i inherited my late uncles collection he did have a bit of USMC gear along with the USAAF gear so thats maybe why he had an example of the vest ???

Bob when i inherited my late uncles collection he did have a bit of USMC gear along with the USAAF gear so thats maybe why he had an example of the vest ???

Was he in Korea? During that war cold weather gear was as good as gold and all services begged, borrowed or stole gear from the other services whenever possible.

I have one just like the one shown.On the left side the Marine inked on a 1st Marine Div insignia with 'KOREA' on the one instead of 'GUADALCANAL'.Thats why I said Marine liner.

Great USMC Vest, Getting Hard to Find these.

Really ??? shouldnt have much trouble selling mine then !!! ^_^