Request for Ribbon Identification

historyandcultures

historyandcultures

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question, but I have been told this is some type of Home Front award ribbon. Could anyone confirm this information?

post-105781-0-74439100-1358188519.jpg

post-105781-0-76200200-1358188531.jpg

Thanks for posting this info! I had a list like this at one time and misplaced it. Tried to put together a set of these and had a hard time finding the 25 year ribbons. Went on to put together a Civil Air Patrol set instead. ^_^

historyandcultures

I forgot to ask, did the recipients of this ribbon wear some type of uniform and was there a medal that accompanied this ribbon?

No, there's no medal, just the ribbons as far as I know...my understanding they were awards to civil servants, but I could be wrong on that point.

Mark sends

historyandcultures

Hello Mark;

Thank you very much for that interesting chart. Is that chart from a WW2 publication? If so, could you tell me the name of that publication? I would love to find a copy of that publication.

I'm very interested in finding more of these WW2 civilian ribbons. Were all these different types of civilian ribbons actually awarded?

I'll have to look around...I've got all sorts of stuff like that scattered around my computer...I have one with teh Army Service insignia that has a metal wreath around it...

Mark sends

I don't know what the metal wreath is for..I've seen them on eBay from time to time but I think it's just a manufacturer's variation. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it.

Mark sends

I have found the overseas ribbons with overseas Red Cross and ARC canteen groups. These show up quite often on ebay. Some civil defense workers wore uniforms of medium blue and of course the CAP people did too. There were some civilians who were attached to military service who wore uniforms and got this ribbon, as well as campaign ribbons. Notibly a grouping to the Wiley's Jeep VP attached to European HQ wore a suit in London, but when on the Continent wore a plain uniform with a Civilian patch.

Could anyone recommend any militaria dealers who might have ribbons like those on this chart that would be for sale?

I'd post such a request right here in the WANTED forum, probably will get some leads fairly quickly if you title the request carefully enough so that people will know what exactly you want.

Here's the ribbon I have with the metal wreath. It's attached by two prongs at the top and bottom that wrap around the ribbon. I always thought it was odd that the first award was for only 6 months, but the next was a whopping 10 years...why not 1 year, 5 years, etc.....

Mark sends

post-3423-0-71780600-1358717198.jpg

post-3423-0-19224900-1358717206.jpg

• 11 months later...

Gents:

I found this discussion and thought this might be a good place to ask my question. I saw the chart that Mark posted and I see I have a War Department General Staff ribbon. I never knew what this ribbon was until I saw the chart tonight.

My question is this, are these 6 months service ribbons scarce? I never knew how many different civilian service ribbons there were and I'm trying to understand how difficult it is to find ribbons of this type.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards to all,

Clay

post-35523-0-59767300-1388830242.jpg

The biggest difficulty in finding these kinds of ribbons is that most people don't know what they are, so when they sell them on ebay or elsewhere they don't list them correctly and you have to find them by accident. They also were not issued in the numbers that we see for US military service ribbons, so they are actually much much rarer, but not as many people look for them so the prices are fairly reasonable when you do find them. There is a nice period color chart of these in the National geographic magazine issue from 1943-44 I believe. I will see if I can find the issue.

Hello Mr. Jerry:

Thank you for the information. I never saw one of these ribbons before this one. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Clay

• 4 years later...