Authentic or not

usaf70

Here is some info I have on the patch in general. The "original design" patches had a different phrase on them. The one on ebay is a second batch at best. The patches were copied over and over during and obviously after the war for other crewman part of the unit after the original crew(s), the collector market during the war, and the fake market afterwards. The "Doomy Pussy" bottom tab was made post 65 AT BEST, according to my research,and The Doom Pussy tab was NEVER part of the original design, however, the Tham Phan was, which makes this a very confusing patch. Later examples should read Dihn Mang

In having said all that, your patch APPEARS to be a legit Thai made example (although there are a few details I have questions about; I would have to handle this before buying it), but not a first run. At best, it was made later in the war for crews after the original "Doom Pussy"s, or for the collector market.

To add more confusion, there are wartime made US examples made at Ft Bragg for departing units, as well as immediate-post souvenir/reunion patches.

This is what I figured about four years ago. Perhaps more info has surfaced since then?

Definitely Thai made patch but I am not sure it was made during the war. Some of the same tailors during the war are still in existence and are making patches similar to their war time products.

The patches were copied over and over during and obviously after the war for other crewman part of the unit after the original crew(s), the collector market during the war, and the fake market afterwards.

Hunter, I like the way you're thinking!.....

Steve

vintageproductions

The seller of this patch is a member of this forum.

I am sure he will comment......

There is also a thread on this exact patch on here, started by the seller when he got it.

Garth Thompson

The patch is mine. Look at the thread Bob posted which was started when I got the patch. I have no intention of getting into a long winded pointless discussion defending the patch. Bid on it or not I could care less. If it doesn't sell om Ebay it will be at the SOS.

Garth

• 7 years later...

Don't know if that patch sold but here's my much later input on these.......The original patches were made in late 65 in Saigon no Doom Pussy tab on those as the 8th/13th were not at Danang yet. Two batches of these with different VN markings on them. Squadrons then assigned to Danang. As patches were used up the next groups did have the Doom Pussy tabs ( Danang Officers Open Mess. i.e the O Club ). Copies of these were then ordered as needed by the two Squadrons over the next 4 years. When the Squadrons moved to Phan Rang in late 66 I would assume the Danang connection dropped from the patches so No more Doom Pussy at that point. Correct patches with "Night Intruders" at the top of the patch are known and very scarce in collectors collections. This was not a tab. Fairly logical progression but there could be exceptions if one type patch or the other was used as the copy to make the new patches that were needed. As always the VN patch arena can be tricky but paying attention to detail and crafting will keep you out of trouble I hope. Any others thoughts welcome and photos also.