help id a WWII 1911 holster.

WWII_GI

got this in a group of military items. it is id'd to Lt. Net Nackeray 147th FA

can someone search more about him. what does FA mean and can someone tell me an estimated value?

thanks guys.

post-104606-0-33593700-1358030972.jpg

post-104606-0-57648800-1358030985.jpg

craig_pickrall

FA is Field Artillery

You will need photos of the back showing the maker name and date before anyone can estimate a value.

It is a model M1916 holster by the way.

That depends on the date/maker stamp on the back. M1916 is short for Model of 1916, meaning the design was finalised and first put into production in 1916. These holsters were used from 1916 until the end of the service life of the M1911 pistol. With such a long period of use, there are numerous makers and dates found on them.

No stamp on back.....there was at one time. Your holster has been modified. The light tan part with the wire hanger has been added. It's possible this holster could have started life as a mounted holster......with a swivel and was modified to the dismounted version.

Ronnie

I think someone probably just robbed the wire hanger portion of this holster at some time and then someone else repaired it later with a newer addition. I can't see the back very well to see if it had the loops for the leg tie down strap. So not really can't tell if it was a mounted holster or not.

Ronnie

I collect holsters but not holsters in this condition. So for me I wouldn't give more than bout 20 to 25 bucks. Then I would try to sell it for 40 to 50 bucks. I don't think I could get more than that for it. Maybe someone else thinks its worth more. As for research on the owner, I can't do that. Sorry.

Ronnie

I don't think it was a mounted holster. If it was it would have the loops on the back of the holster body for the leg strap. I think it was a dismounted M1912 converted to M1916 configuration.

craig_pickrall

It looks to me as if it doesn't have the leather covered wood block inside to space out the pistol grip. It looks to me as if it is a private purchase holster.

craig_pickrall

Good spotting, especially this early in the morning. You must have had your coffee already.

I don't think it was a mounted holster. If it was it would have the loops on the back of the holster body for the leg strap. I think it was a dismounted M1912 converted to M1916 configuration.

Yeah after I looked closer I came back and said that in my post no. 8. And yes Craig the block is there, at least the thread to hold it in is still there.

I collect holsters but not holsters in this condition. So for me I wouldn't give more than bout 20 to 25 bucks. Then I would try to sell it for 40 to 50 bucks. I don't think I could get more than that for it. Maybe someone else thinks its worth more. As for research on the owner, I can't do that. Sorry.

Ronnie

The color of the added leather looks odd. It might be a recent repair job. I'm cheap, but I see this as a $20 holster.

• 4 weeks later...

Norman Elwin Thackeray was born June 18, 1891 in Lincoln, South Dakota624, 625, 626, 627, and died February 20, 1969 in Tucson, Pima Co, AZ628.

Notes for Norman Elwin Thackeray:

Birth information - State File #493988 filed 5/12/1939 - Lincoln County, South Dakota

Military Records:

"Headquarters 88th Division

American Expeditionary Forces

Special Order No.97 Extract France, 7 April 1919

25. The Following Second Leutinents, F.A. , having reported at these headquarters in compliance with S.C.87, G.H.Q., March 28, 1919, are assigned to organizations as indicated:

Norman E. Thackeray - to 147th F.A.

By command of Briggadier General Beach"

"4069-19

Headquarters, Camp Dodge, Iowa

Seacial Orders Number 144 Extract May 24, 1919

15. By direction of the President and under the provision of sSection 9, Act of Congress, May 18, 1917, and Circular Number 75, War Department, 1918, the following named Officers are honorably discharged from the service of the United States for the convenience of the Government, to take aeffect this date, their services being no longer required:

Second Lieutenant Norman Elwin Thackeray, Field Artillery. 147th Field Artillery

By Command of Brigadier General Babbitt:

H A Ripley Colonel, Infantry

Camp Executive Officer

Formal Cerificate of Honorable discharge noted Military Record:

Battles, engagements, skirmishes: Alsace Front July 5th to July 23rd 1918. 2nd Battle of Marna August 1st to August 26, 1918. Juvigny August 28th to August 30th, 1918

UHP-IND10.jpgHere is a picture of him.

1920 Census Occupation - orchestra musician

Certificate of Death - State of AZ - Died at Handmaker Nursing Home, 731 N. Belevedere, Tucson. SS# 503-01-4998. Occupation - printer. Lived in AZ 22 yrs. Previous residence Des Moines, Iowa. Burial at Evergreen Cemetary, 3015 N. Oracle Rd., Tucson on 2/24/69.

There is also a Norman E. Thackeray listed as Band Sergeant for the 147th FA (WW1) Band as a clarinet player.

A History of the 147th Army Band of the South Dakota Army National Guard

By Terry Keith Beckler