SHOW YOUR SCRIPT ENGRAVED 47-49 MEDALS

Wharfmaster

Do you have a decoration / medal engraved in the official 1947-49 script engraved style in your collection? If so, please share it with us.

Thanks and best regards,

The Wharfmaster

Here's one example. I would appreciate some help sifting through the countless Smiths. A high percentage of script engraved PHs such as this one are late war KIAs, maybe some POWs. It has also been said that NOKs got them as replacements (e.g., original medal sent to the widow and the father / mother / brother / sister depending upon the situation requested one from the QM). I find that three of this name were KIAs, two Naval personnel. This one possible match was a 1st Lt (O-734616) in the 20th Combat Mapping Squadron, 6th Photographic Group, KIA 30 September 1944. Would have been declared dead 1October 1945 which might be a little early for the wave of script engraved PHs started in 1946 as The Wharfmaster states. There is an entry on the WWII Memorial possibly concerning this person as a navigator lost returning from Leyte.

post-200-0-94161000-1358022425_thumb.jpg

I think the majority of the script engraved medals were provided as part of the CIB/CMB Bronze Star awards.....Just my observation.

Right you are. Named Bronze Stars issued during this time period are done in this style too.

Army & Air Corps named decorations claimed / requested and issued during this period (47-49) are found in this style. This would include examples such as late claim Purple Hearts for World War One and Soldiers Medals awarded for lifesaving during this time period as well.

Best regards,

The Wharfmaster

Right you are. Named Bronze Stars issued during this time period are done in this style too.

Army & Air Corps named decorations claimed / requested and issued during this period (47-49) are found in this style. This would include examples such as late claim Purple Hearts for World War One and Soldiers Medals awarded for lifesaving during this time period as well.

Best regards,

The Wharfmaster

7543267_orig.jpg

Here is a script engraved Purple Heart to a WWI Veteran

Pvt Robert S Fielden

Co L 119th inf regt

30th Div

Cumming was KIA in December 1943 and the original PH was issued to his widow. The PH shown here was a duplicate issue to his father in 1949. Shown below is the documentation on the issue of all of his medals. The location of the Air Medal is unknown.

post-10651-0-01150700-1358026620.jpg

Cumming was KIA in December 1943 and the original PH was issued to his widow. The PH shown here was a duplicate issue to his father in 1949. Shown below is the documentation on the issue of all of his medals. The location of the Air Medal is unknown.

Many thanks Adam:

Fantastic example of an "exact date" medal and award document group. Do hope you locate the Air Medal one day.

Best regards,

W

7543267_orig.jpg

Here is a script engraved Purple Heart to a WWI Veteran

Pvt Robert S Fielden

Co L 119th inf regt

30th Div

Thanks very much Robert for your fine WW1 and WW2 examples, most appreciated.

Best regards,

W

POW

He was the bombardier of a B-24 from the 455th Bomb Group named "Doughty Dragon". She was attacked by enemy aircraft on a mission to Budapest Hungary on July 27, 1944 . The plane went down and flames killing 5 of the crewman. He spent the rest of the war as a POW in Stalag Luft III in Sagan Germany.

There is a thread about the entire group here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/146439-wwii-stalag-luft-iii-pow-group-medals-diary-documents/

post-105-1339886195.jpg

post-105-1339886264.jpg

POW

He was the bombardier of a B-24 from the 455th Bomb Group named "Doughty Dragon". She was attacked by enemy aircraft on a mission to Budapest Hungary on July 27, 1944 . The plane went down and flames killing 5 of the crewman. He spent the rest of the war as a POW in Stalag Luft III in Sagan Germany.

There is a thread about the entire group here:

http://www.usmilitar...iary-documents/

post-105-0-15513400-1358028692_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-30849600-1358028706_thumb.jpg

Kurt,

This is one great, super complete POW group. Near mint FS condition as well. Very hard to improve on this one.

Thanks!

W

W

Here's one I used to own. I always liked the winged prop flourish at the bottom.

I would suggest that the engraver who script engraved these medals was hired prior to 1947. Stenman was an MIA, lost when his B-29 was shot down over Japan 0n 10 February 1945. Based on the "year and a day" criteria he would have been officially declared dead on 11 Feb 1946, and the medal would have been issued shortly thereafter.

post-126-0-84467000-1358029849_thumb.jpg

One more:

Spacil was a KIA on a B-17 over Europe on 8 September 1944. His remains were not recovered and official notification given of his death until July 1945.

post-126-0-84262800-1358030356.jpg

Here's one I used to own. I always liked the winged prop flourish at the bottom.

I would suggest that the engraver who script engraved these medals was hired prior to 1947. Stenman was an MIA, lost when his B-29 was shot down over Japan 0n 10 February 1945. Based on the "year and a day" criteria he would have been officially declared dead on 11 Feb 1946, and the medal would have been issued shortly thereafter.

Nice example of the winged prop. I would also very much like to know the exact date this style of engraving began. Perhaps late 1946. Thanks.

Regards,

W

One of my Favorite Purple Hearts Issued to PVT Frederick W Petersen for Wounds Received While Assigned to Company F of the 306th Infantry Regiment, 77th Division in WWI

Originally posted in another thread for titled: Script engraved PH I'm researching

http://www.usmilitar...im-researching/

Regards,

John

Very nice example, Thanks!

W

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the terrible quality of my photos, I have not yet made the time to set up a small photo booth like many I think have.

I think these two medals were at some point frame mounted as evidenced by the matter on the back, with the engraving. The Bronze Star did not come out too well when I tried to get pics. The Silver Star is not so bad. The Silver Star medals in script engraving do not seem to be seen all that often, not nearly so much as some of the other medals I would opine.

The Bronze Star is, I suspect, for this man's Combat Medic Badge award. He was a medic, KIA in Tunisia while trying to evacuate a wounded man, he was KIA by an artillery burst while doing so. He was 1st Infantry Division, his citation is April 1943 dated. I am not sure why he was awarded this second set of medals.

As an aside, while just Google searching Cahill, I see his original set of hand engraved medals is in another collector's hands! A Forum member even!

MW

post-440-0-68987600-1359083705_thumb.jpg

post-440-0-31683600-1359083712_thumb.jpg

dhcoleterracina

The Cahill Silver Star engraving is interesting. It appears the engraver intentionally dulled the background for effect or was it a error then re-engraved? I've never seen that before.