Small collection of 8th AAF Group & Squadron Patches

seebee1

Having posted my patch "Mah Aikin Back" these are the other 11 patches that I bought around the same time. This was over 30 years ago, I am sure I managed to Identify most of them, but should have put a label on each one. If I recall correctly, they were never issued and came out of a tailors shop in England. If anyone would like a larger image of any of them, please ask.

post-1567-0-30999400-1358014922_thumb.jpg

Johnny Signor

O.K. I see one there I have but no ID for it , the little black winged Donkey with Fighter and Bomber in sky , do you have a n ID to this one ?????????????

I hope I hope I hope !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Johnny

Johnny Signor

O.K. ID's to your photos top row left to right 434th Fighter Sqd,100th Bombardment Sqd(variation),729th Bombardment Sqd,93rd Bombardment Group,787th Bombardment Sqd,492nd Bombardment Group

Bottom row left to right

436th Fighter Sqd,338th Bombardment Sqd, donkey?????,654th Bombardment Sqd(H)Recon Special,370th Fighter Sqd .

Now make sure you label them this time :D

Johnny

Johnny Signor

I have no Idea and am hoping seebee1 will answer my inquiry to it's ID if at all possible................................................

Johnny

Much appreciate the Identification of these Patches Johnny, some I could recall, others not, I will get right onto a label for each of them. Out of the Grouping the only two I never could find out about were the 491st "Mah Aikin Back", now solved thanks to this Forum, and the "Donkey" Patch. So another mystery yet to uncover! I am sure it is an 8th AAF Patch, a Group based in East Anglia, the Donkey is wearing Headphones and some form of communication between a Fighter and a B-24 Bomber. I have pondered whether or not the colors of the Aircraft were relevant? I checked all my Patch Books and this one I could not find anywhere. Hopefully someone will have an answer. Regards, Clive.

post-1567-0-20101200-1358081303.jpg

It could be the RADIO COUNTER MEASURES SQUADRON.According to the book, The Mighty Eighth by Roger A. Freeman, this sq flew B-17's & B-24's.

Sorry about that Johnny. A good suggestion Firefighter, just wonder how to go about trying to find out if they had a Patch or not? It could also have been a design that never was actually issued, bit of a mystery. Regards, Clive.

Johnny Signor

Clive , I think your Donkey patch was an "actual " unit , as I have seen it somewhere else a long time ago ,and seeing as it cam ewith the others in the grouping too it is most likely one that was used , but again one of those "elusive" ones that takes a lot of 'searching' to finally nail down , I have some images in my files thattook me many years to finally nail down as to either or ID and colors .

So I hope some day this ones ID comes to light , I'm leaning towards the "Radio Counter Measures" type or at east some form of communications tpe for the Fighter/Bomber missions with the details the patch has .

Johnny

Sorry about that Johnny. A good suggestion Firefighter, just wonder how to go about trying to find out if they had a Patch or not? It could also have been a design that never was actually issued, bit of a mystery. Regards, Clive.

I tried googling the unit and couldn't find a patch.I'll keep looking.