A Few Navy Flight Jackets

VP_Association

VP_Association

post-16247-0-82365700-1360334277.jpg

Here is a photo that somebody took showing me (in sunglasses standing next to ladder) and AW1 Rodney Watson (seated) tending a VP-92 static aircraft display at an airshow held somewhere (possibly Manchester, New Hampshire) during the 1991 - 1995 timeframe. The table in front of the line of people waiting to go on board the aircraft is filled with the various squadron-branded stuff that we used to sell at these events. If you look carefully you can see squadron t-shirts, water bottles, patches, and ball caps. We used to basically bring everything that we'd normally sell to squadron members out of the hangar "geedunk" to sell to the general public at these events to raise money for the squadron's coffee mess. As I said above, it was not unusual for us to see civilians walking around these airshows wearing squadron ball caps and t-shirts and on occasion we'd see them wearing jackets that had squadron patches on them. We'd always ask if they were former members of the squadron, just out of curiosity, but it never upset us when they told us that they weren't. I ended up becoming close friends with a civilian guy who I'd see at the NAS South Weymouth airshow year after year wearing a VP-92 ball cap and t-shirt. I'd never have any problem with somebody wearing a Navy flight jacket who was not actually in the Navy as long as they didn't lie about being in the Navy and I can't imagine my colleagues feeling any differently. So, don't worry too much about it.

• 1 month later...
Datil_Mountain_Muse

Interesting thread, here.

Was an S-3 NFO out of Cecil. Ging to post some of my patches sometime. Most of my gear is in storage, can't get it out.

VP_Association

post-16247-0-00469900-1364717912.jpg

Here's my Patrol Squadron Eight jacket, which recently had new cuffs and a waistband put on it. This was an older black-label jacket. When I got to VP-8 during 1980 the squadron had just recently adopted the insignia shown here, which replaced one that had a tiger emerging from a cloud. The guy who designed this insignia, who's name escapes me right now, had been serving as the squadron's assistant PAO. He was rotating out as I came into the squadron and I took over the assistant PAO position.

• 3 weeks later...

@VP_Assoc. Thanks for posting these photos of jackets. They gave me some ideas on how to have my father's flight jackets patched. In my search for patches I came across this one for NAS South Weymouth. I haven't seen another like it. Any idea what era this patch might be from?

34rgdo3.jpg

Johnny Signor

Oops! I posted the wrong picture above. My advancing age is starting to show more and more everyday.

33z7kvo.jpg

That one is out of Mass,

Johnny

VP_Association

That's the style of base patch that was used at NAS South Weymouth from 1977 until the base was decommissioned in 1997.

ADAM.12TN

That's the style of base patch that was used at NAS South Weymouth from 1977 until the base was decommissioned in 1997.

Thanks for the info! I have a few of the older versions but I didn't know when it was stopped being used.

• 2 years later...
josesharontraders

Here is my G-1 I JUST got today. Its a Goodwear Jacket the best in the business!!!

its THE best coat I have ever had

and the fit is just fantastic!!!This is based on the First G-1 made in 1944 it has

the real mutton collar and the scalloped pocket flaps

Just a wonderful hobby!!!

attachicon.gifG-1_3.jpg

This is the back, you can see the USN label on the back of the collar

attachicon.gifG-1_2.jpgHe

Hello Paulgt3,

I've searched the Goodwear website. Under what heading or tab is this fantastic jacket of yours so I can order a pudgy size one for myself?

Regards,

Jose