Can You ID This WWI Patch

corsair

I beleive this might be a chemical or chemical mortar patch from WWI. I know I have seen this patch before but I'm not sure what it is. I believe it depicts a Griffin over crossed artillery shells. Wool sewn to cotton that is about 4-1/2 inches square.

Help!!

Thanks,

Bill

post-6479-0-10776200-1357961432_thumb.jpg

Jeffrey Magut

I think it's suppose to be a dragon not a horse?

It is a dragon, a firebreathing one, for the Gas and Flame Regiment.

Unapproved but made and worn Private First Class, Chemical Warfare Service, AEF. The stateside designed and approved CWS insignia was the crossed retorts-benzene ring that is still the Chemical Corps branch of service insignia..

Garth Thompson

Unapproved but made and worn Private First Class, Chemical Warfare Service, AEF. The stateside designed and approved CWS insignia was the crossed retorts-benzene ring that is still the Chemical Corps branch of service insignia..

The Dragon over crossed shells PFC insignia was unauthorized but commonly used in the AEF by members of Gas Regiments who actually fired the gas shells. The AEF initially viewed the Gas Service differently from the other CWS personnel who worked on development of Chemical Warfare equipment and proposed separating the two branches. The Army did not approve this seperation. The Gas Service PFC was issued by the AEF Quartermaster. ref Chevrons, Emerson pg 163/164

Personally I am not very fond of the example in this post.

Garth

• 1 month later...
Uniforms of the Day

I actually like this example. You will also find the same unauthorized design, usually French made, in officers's collar insignia.These are not common insignia.