Unknown 8th or 9th AAF Squadron Patch - Any ideas?

seebee1

A Patch manufactured in England and one I have not been able to identify. I bought it many years ago, along with several others, and believe it is either 8th or 9th AAF. If anyone has seen this before or can identify the Squadron and Group it would be much appreciated. Regards, Clive.

post-1567-0-70406800-1357912212.jpg

Many thanks Beast, I would not have thought of it being a Crew patch. How unusual would this be and was it something done only by the 491st BG? I have collected 8th AAF material for many years and this is the first time I heard of a patch being made for an individual Crew of an Aircraft. Totally agree about the comment about not being too PC these days, guess it was (or was not?) back in the day. Regards, Clive.

Many thanks Beast, I would not have thought of it being a Crew patch. How unusual would this be and was it something done only by the 491st BG? I have collected 8th AAF material for many years and this is the first time I heard of a patch being made for an individual Crew of an Aircraft. Totally agree about the comment about not being too PC these days, guess it was (or was not?) back in the day. Regards, Clive.

Clive,

I am not too sure about how rare crew patches are, I don't think they are too common. The writing on the patch looked to me like the name of an aircraft, so I searched for that phrase. I know we have discussed crew patches on this forum before, but I cna't find the threads right now. Hopefully, one of our patch experts will chime in!

I have a patch that came in a small paper and insignia group to a B24 pilot.It included his log book as well.The patch is a typical chenille type manufacture,size is the type of a squadron style patch.It say "G.I. CAB CO." I have always wondered if this was a crew patch or a name of one of the airplanes he flew..

Johnny Signor

hey , sorry for the late reply to this one, as already posted above this is a "Nose Art/Crew Patch" and a nice find, I recall seeing this one sometime ago posted either on this site or another one, now you have a "connection" with it and the B-24 etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

hey , sorry for the late reply to this one, as already posted above this is a "Nose Art/Crew Patch" and a nice find, I recall seeing this one sometime ago posted either on this site or another one, now you have a "connection" with it and the B-24 etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Hey Johhny.....Better late for dinner than missing the meal!!!!!

Crew patches or nose art patches are somewhat rare, but not super rare. The guys in the 15th AAF had this done far more often than anywhere else. I actually have an A-2 jacket in my collection that has a patch sewn on it which shows his planes noseart.

JD

Johnny Signor

I have seen one on a B-24 Titled "Rumplestilskin" and the art work is that of a little elf type with long beard riding on top of a large aerial bomb , the patch was done on canvas and the nose art was on the right side nose facing to right , I have a small color photo of the patch and a small B&W photo of the B-24 , not loaded into my PC so I wouldn't be able to post it sorry .

Johnny

Johnny Signor

Hey Johhny.....Better late for dinner than missing the meal!!!!!

Yeah , reheated food is way better than NO Food !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Much appreciate the further comments. Just great to know finally what the patch is, especially with the 491st BG connection, a 30 year + mystery solved! Regards, Clive.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote to a very knowledgeable and authoritative gentleman, connected with the 491st Bombardment Group, by the name of Alan Blue, regarding this Patch and any information he may hold. His reply is as follows, also a clearer copy of the earlier image posted, plus one other. Needless to say I was delighted with his response.

"The Patch belonged to the Raymond C. Hershay Crew, originals of the 853BS, 491BG. A better scan of the photo you have, which shows the Hershey Crew, is attached.Plane was T8:-F. Also attached is a view of the Plane after it force landed in Romilly, France on the 11 Sept 44 (Hanover Mission) with extensive battle damage. Note it had been transferred to the 854BS by this time as 6X:-V-."

post-1567-0-67061700-1358692899_thumb.jpg

post-1567-0-13661000-1358692931.jpg