World War I Museum -- Kansas City, Mo.

rams2050

Hi, all!

I don't know how many of you have visited the World War I Museum, in Kansas City, Mo., but, believe me, it is a 'must see.' Collectors will go crazy there -- everything you could possibly want to see you can see -- if it is among the 20% of stuff now on display. Yes, only 20% is displayed at any given time; the other 80% is in storage, awaiting its turn to join the permanent rotation.

I have lots of photos to post when I return home on Friday, and then you will be able to see for yourself what this museum holds. Uniforms from every branch of service that participated in the conflict, together with helmets, firearms, artillery pieces, an actual American tank, a torpedo, a DeHavilland D-1 plane, a naval mine, a horse-drawn caisson (two caissons, really, pulled by four mannequin mules, with authentic saddles -- the caissons weren't steered by reins, per se, but by riders who rode the near animals and 'steered' them like riders would do ordinarily. In reality, the caissons were pulled by a team of six horses or mules, but due to space constraints only four are dislayed.

There are numerous well-done movies explaining various aspects of the war, plus the coolest display of marching American troops making their way across a battlefield that rises up toward the screen and is lighted dramatically to give viewers a sense of what the battlefield looked like in real-time. There is a reproduction trench, complete with branches to shore up the walls, makeshift seats, corrugated iron sheeting for the roof and mannequins, in complete uniforms, so that observers can stick their heads in various 'porthole-like' openings to view the 'trench' from various angles. The voices of actual World War I soldiers are heard describing what it was like to fight under such conditions.

Lots of photographs; many machine guns; Army nurse, medic and doctor uniforms, an Army ambulance and other conveyances, a day by day, month by month, and year by year account of every important incident leading up to the War and then leading to the War's conclusion. Much, much more.

The firearms alone were worthy of the trip -- all authentic and in great shape.

The docent told me that the collecting began the moment the War ended. I was simply amazed at the breadth and scope of this museum. It takes one's breath away.

I will post more tomorrow (Friday) afternoon when I resize my photos and have time to upload them.

I had a different take. I didn't think it was as good as I had expected. It's OK, but I did not feel it was worth making a special trip unless you haven't seen a lot of WW1 stuff. If you take away the macro objects (tank, artillery, torpedo, etc.) there is really not all that much isn't found in some of the really good WW1 collections I have seen. There's a lot of empty space in it, and given that 80% of the collection is in storage I wish they had worked out how to display more. I mean, an entire wall of postcards of villages destroyed in the war is nice, but personally for me, it was a waste of space. I don't mean to run it down, but it is not as good as some of the European museums.

I know it is "inspirational," but I would have much rather had the glass bridge over the poppy field have been over a nice diorama. The setup in front of the movie screen is nice and emotional, but it's more art than a exhibit.

And I know kids probably like them but touch screens that let you "create your own propoganda posters" are not in my list of things I cared about.(not that they held any attention to anyone when I was there).

I didn't see the touch screens that allow you to recreate your own 'propaganda' poster. The touch screens in effect when I was there included some that allowed you to decide whether something that you saw in the field (from old photographs) was 'real' or a 'decoy.' That was very interesting. You went from station to station and did interactivities at about 24 different places. The people that took us to the museum were in a big hurry, so I was only able to do a few of the activities.

As far as wasted space, I didn't really see it. I mean, yes, there is space in front of all of the artillery pieces, plus space behind so that you can walk all around each. the posters that explain each piece can also be viewed from the rear where most have large photographs depicting how artillerymen loaded and shot each during war. Had there been less empty space, I think it would have appeared totally cluttered. As it was, I thought it was the right mix of display and open space.

I am working on the photos now. should have them up shortly. Remember, my hosts were in a big, hot hurry to leave, otherwise, I would have had more photos to post here. sorry about that.

photo 17 == model of a German U-boat -- detail is breathtaking; plus, photo is of a U.S. convoy attempting to dodge the German U-boats, each painted in 'dazzle' camouflage. the photo is pretty cool close-up. . .

post-100672-0-73747300-1357947591.jpg