Meyer: N.S. Meyer

ADMIN

triplecanopy

I had to post an authentic NS Meyer master parachutist badge to contribute to this subject. This is a real (not a restrike) NS Meyer parachute badge with the two shields. On the left is the 22M shield that Meyer used after the 9M marking was discontinued. On the right of that symbol is the NS Meyer shield commonly seen on their badges and insignia. The N.S. MEYER, INC NEW YORK STERLING marks are all clear with raised letters as are the other markings seen on this 1960's era badge. I know this one is authentic because I have had it for over 48 years. It was given to me by an old Paratrooper in 1968. I use this to compare to other NS Meyer wings floating around out there.

post-48217-0-07112500-1470322858_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Wow with the M22 shield those stars apparently are from the mid to late-sh 60s right, when they still made sterling and not the 1/20 Silver Filled that began to be seen.

• 9 months later...
triplecanopy

One of the last hallmarks used by NS Meyer was M22. This SCUBA badge dates from around 1984 when I received it. This style badge is no longer used in the Special Forces community and has been replaced by the Combat Diver Badge with crossed daggers.

post-48217-0-98728500-1529632419.jpg

post-48217-0-28988200-1529632431.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi,

does anyone know when N.S. Meyer was incorporated? Knowing when 'INC.' was added to their trademark and hallmarks would narrow down the ages of their wings quite a bit.

cheers, John

• 2 months later...

Hi,

does anyone know when N.S. Meyer was incorporated? Knowing when 'INC.' was added to their trademark and hallmarks would narrow down the ages of their wings quite a bit.

cheers, John

With thanks from River Rat on the MWR forum:

N. S. Meyer, Inc. filed as a Domestic Business Corporation in the State of New York on Tuesday, February 24, 1920 and is approximately ninety-nine years old, according to public records filed with New York Department of State.

I replied that the 1920 date is helpful in a way, but the dies used for some insignia may have been used for a long time and not updated as to the company's status. I'll have to look at my wings and other Meyer badges and see how it goes.

• 2 months later...

What does the "USMC 97" stand for?

USMC garrison cap size O-2 bar. Happy New Year everyone! Thanks, Al.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
USBadgesPoland

I found interesting Army Basic Parachutist Badge marked N.S. MEYER, INC. N. Y. with two shields / 9M. The badge is regular size, shields are large. I have never seen such before.

post-168923-0-01710100-1584104498_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 2/15/2019 at 11:14 AM, Flightpath said:

With thanks from River Rat on the MWR forum:

N. S. Meyer, Inc. filed as a Domestic Business Corporation in the State of New York on Tuesday, February 24, 1920 and is approximately ninety-nine years old, according to public records filed with New York Department of State.

I replied that the 1920 date is helpful in a way, but the dies used for some insignia may have been used for a long time and not updated as to the company's status. I'll have to look at my wings and other Meyer badges and see how it goes.

At a flea market I saw what appears to be (according to Campbell's "Aviation Badges, Wings, and Insignia") an Air Service Non-Commissioned Officer hat insignia with stamped (engraved?) N.S. MEYER, INC and NEW YORK underneath. Campbell states it had to have been made after July 1918, "... but such insignia were discarded in December 1917". So how can that be if Meyer incorporated in 1920?