National WW2 Museum New Orleans, opinions?

willysmb44

It was my goal at one time to have a museum.

I had even had an audience on several occasions with Mayor Reed of Harrisburg who was willing to help.

The theme was going to be about people and not things places or dates.

I loved Cornelius Ryan and Stephen Ambrose and their writing style.

The museum was going to follow along with that style.

The things were going to tell a story, a story about the owner and how the war impacted their lives.

Several times a year I would go to universities, colleges and schools to do presentations.

I would bring things from several different veterans and used their things to tell their stories.

Most everyone loved hearing the stories and seeing the things.

It was all about the individual.

It never happened all the stuff is gone and now well my head is above water.

The problem with museums today is that they are based around museum science and not the topic being exhibited. The new Marine Corps museum has the same,issue. More important to preserve the artifact than properly displaying/describing what it is. I have been asked countless times to help with information about items,at museums world wide on different topics because they did not have the knowledge base.

A fellow forum member applied for museum position he was heads above,the rest in knowledge, but the government will always follow policy and procedures and in most cases pick someone who probably doesn't know anything about what they are preserving.

It would be nice to have a central museum on American Military History that has a true archive for people,such as ourselves,to not only research there but also provide information. Yes examples of every manufactured item would be on display and be available for examination. This would include weapons etc. I know that would have been helpful in my research over,the years and I am sure it would be a road trip for many other forum members.

Maybe if I hit lotto last,night I will start work on the museum.

In the meantime an online dbase setup by items with photos would be great. People can submit pics and info and it would placed into a searchable archive. What the forum provides now is,great, but it would be easier to search by item and manufacturer in a system online.

I think that the time for things, places and dates is over.

Museums have to become more interesting.

Peoples lives are interesting.

Everyone loves stories.

To go see 10, 20 or more variations of one item whether it be a shirt, gun or some type of equipment has it's place but is boring to most.

But to see an M-1 rifle that was picked up off the beach of Iwo Jima by a Marine who is carrying the tripod to a 30 Cal. MG

And just saw his buddies the amo carrier and MG carrier get killed in front of him

And now needs a weapon so he grabs another dead man's M1.

And there are other items from this same Marine and a video of that Marine telling the story of how he got that weapon.

Now that is history and worth going to see.

And yes many years ago I had that Marines M1 and spent time interviewing him and watched him cry.

Where is that museum ?

I want to go to that museum.

Interesting view points. I've been thru the museum twice and enjoyed myself, but agree that for what it is it probably could be a lot better. I will go thru it again next time I'm in NOLA since they opened the new "wing", but of course with realistic/low expectations.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but I learned long ago not to go into these places expecting the world. I do agree with the comments that this museum is pretty short on the the "artifacts" side, which is really too bad.

Also, I guess it doesn't say much for a museum when your favorite part is the bar? Seriously, my wife and I are both fans of "The American Sector" bar/restaurant (in the museum), they have a pretty kick-@$$ cocktail menu. Might try going there before you go thru the museum? As they say in that town, anything worth doing is worth doing with a cocktail.

My wife and I have also been to one of their "Stage Door Canteen" dinner shows, and while many here would moan about the costumes being "farby", it made for a fun WWII themed date night with my wife (that she actually enjoyed!).

For those who want to see a "Victorian" style museum, don't miss the Confederate Memorial Hall museum across the street (on Camp Street, right before the traffic circle). Packed with nothing but original artifacts. No TV screens, no glossy maps, very few words to read at all, just TONs of original Civil War artifacts in turn of the century dark wood display cases. Its like the museum that time forgot, but in an amazing way.

Vance

I went to what was then the National D-Day museum not too long after they opened, and I was also surprised at the small number of artifacts on display, which I attributed to them being fairly new. A lot has changed, apparently, from the comments I've read here. But I think they've fallen victim to the same thing most museums with big-boy-bucks have - the misconception that you need lots of glitz and techno to be something people want to come to. I think in part that's because the people doing the exhibit designing are younger, and grew up in a time where everyone has to have the latest gizmo. And there's a place for "some" stuff like that..but it needs to be subtle...for instance, at the Marine Corps museum, when I was there, in the Vietnam section, you walked through a Chinook fuselage, and the temperature was higher, there was the smell of aviation fuel etc...THAT sort of "wizardry" really makes you feel like you're boots on the ground.

When people come to my museum, I usually start by telling them we're "not big and sexy like the Air Force museum"...I don't think I'll do that anymore. From the comments I've read, I'm doing exactly what I thought I should be doing - keeping it simple, while telling the personal history behind each item.

Mark sends

In the meantime an online dbase setup by items with photos would be great. People can submit pics and info and it would placed into a searchable archive. What the forum provides now is,great, but it would be easier to search by item and manufacturer in a system online.

We're currently in the process of updating the forum's Reference Sections, which can be a great source of knowledge on different subjects.

I wrote an extended article about the National WWII Museum some time back. Somehow we lost it when the Forum transitioned to the new format. I may post it again some time.

I agree and disagree with some of the things posted on here.

I think they have over reached by quite a bit from the beginning. How does one museum define something as large as the US experience in WWII? And the size of the facility is not that large to begin with. Ideally one would like to have a facility 4 or 5 times the size.

I was there in in 2009. The vestiges of the National D-Day Museum were quite evident. I thought it would have been sufficient to have covered the Normandy landings, but for some reason they extended this to "Pacific D-Days". The terminology itself is a bit of a stretch.

As it was the exhibits on the D-Day theme still dominated the floor space, with other topics were assigned minimal floor space.

Now, having said all of that...

At the time they they had an outstanding travelling or temporary exhibit on women auxillarys, support organizations and USO entertainers. I saw uniforms, show costumes, and memorabilia that I'd never seen before. And apparently previous to that they must of had another temporary exhibit on the POW experience. There were remainders of that exhibit in one of the side hallways and I was sorry I missed it.

I recently posted a video from the museum where they offer a three hour "backstage tour". It explained something that had confused me... everytime I saw a publicity photo, there was a different assortment of aircraft and vehicles. I would love to go back and look at the storage areas, but this again goes back to a lack of space in the main display galleries. Apparently they just recently hung a B-17E from the ceiling which would have been nice to see. (Then again, I did get to see their reconstructed ME-109G). I would agree that it would be nice if they had as much room as the USAF museum to be able to display everything rather than just a selection.

In contrast, the museums that I have seen either in person or on-line in Europe and Hawaii tend to be more focused on a shorter time frame or local events. I think this gives them an advantage in that their displays can be more detailed, and offer a richer, more in-depth selection of material.

I have similar comments about the National WWI Museum in Kansas City. I think if you looked closely at some of the exhibits, there were in fact some exceptional items on display. In particular, the WWI pilot's memorabilia and the women's uniforms. And again, I was there when they had a special exhibit on the WWI German Infantryman that was about as detailed as you could get. As far as location... it was built within a WWI monument that was dedicated to the war dead of Kansas City. That in itself adds meaning as it is itself a piece of history.

Going back to New Orleans, I'd agree it could be improved. Perhaps for now if we consider it a good starting effort and see where it goes.

For those who want to see a "Victorian" style museum, don't miss the Confederate Memorial Hall museum across the street (on Camp Street, right before the traffic circle). Packed with nothing but original artifacts. No TV screens, no glossy maps, very few words to read at all, just TONs of original Civil War artifacts in turn of the century dark wood display cases. Its like the museum that time forgot, but in an amazing way.
I wanted to go there, but the entrance was blocked by homeless people sleeping in the entrance. I'm serious, you couldn't get into the place for that reason! Also, I don't think it was open on that day...

• 1 month later...

I went through the WWII museum in NOLA, just after it opened. I was rather dissappointed at the displays and lack of artifacts......I think given time for a period of adjustment in their inventory it will be a benifit for the civilians that are interested in learning the historiy that is represented there. As for collectors....that is a whole different subject. Accross the street is a Civil War Museum. My wife and I totally enjoyed it.. I believe almost everything in the Civil War museum was original.

DOL

Museums aren't made for collectors, and many collectors will be disappointed with museums since you can see the same stuff at the Show of Shows.

And yet, how many times have we all heard collectors talk about donating their collections to some museum? This conversation reminds me of what happened to the old Confederate Air Force Museum when it moved from Harlengen, Texas to Midland, Texas in the 90's. The old one was put together by the members themselves and had tons of artifacts. More hand decorated A-2 jackets than you could imagine, uniforms, insignia, medals and gear out the wazoo. When the move came along, they built a fancy new building and hired some chick with a museumology degree and proceeded to do up big displays with big photos and tons of written text. Hardly any artifacts. Those were stashed in cardboard boxes in the store room. I know, I saw them.

Bottom line guys, if you want to see real artifacts, look at private collections. That's where the real goodies are!

• 3 weeks later...

I havent been to the National WWII Museum but have pretty much heard the same consensus across the board from collectors point of view, great for tourists not so much for collectors.

I'd have to say as far a WWII Museums go, the best one I have been to is the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum in Pooler, Georgia. It is set up for a bit of everyone in my mind. Tourists can learn about the 8th Air Force during WW2 and collectors can see some great stuff, including a whole wing of the museum where the displays are arranged by specific squadrons and the artifacts in the cases are identified to members of those particular squadrons, pretty cool in my personal opinion.

I'd have to say as far a WWII Museums go, the best one I have been to is the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum in Pooler, Georgia. It is set up for a bit of everyone in my mind. Tourists can learn about the 8th Air Force during WW2 and collectors can see some great stuff, including a whole wing of the museum where the displays are arranged by specific squadrons and the artifacts in the cases are identified to members of those particular squadrons, pretty cool in my personal opinion.
I agree there was a good balance the one time I went there in 1998, haven't been in the area since but will go back for sure the next time I'm in that area. I was impressed the one time I was there...

If the display is to make the point (to a GENERAL audience) about the U.S. industrial effort, just show an array of CARBINE MAG POUCHES !

Want more? Expand it to cartridge belts and pouches, canteens, cups and covers.

When I have put up displays, conversations have often drifted into this Vast Mobilization of Production tangent, and I point out my Pittsburgh Garter and Mademoiselle Lingerie pouches, Ames (known to audience for garden tools, having no idea about CW and earlier swords) entrenching tool, L&FC and PAL bayonet., and so on. A National Postal Meter or Rock-Ola carbine is another good "teaching vehicle".

Greg Sebring

I've been to museum years ago. Dad wanted to see it when it was the D-Day museum. He enjoyed it and thought it was interesting. He thought the CG4A glider display looked real good. While Dad and I were looking at a table top map of Normandy, a grey haired gentleman approached Dad and asked in a foreign accent if he was in D-Day. Dad told him he was and came in with the 82nd Airborne. The gentleman smiled and asked where exactly he landed and Dad told him it was in a glider near Ste. Mere Eglise. The gentleman smiled again and told us his father was Mayor of Ste Mere Eglise when the 82nd landed. He was one of the founders of the Airborne museum in Ste. Mere Eglise and when he heard the U.S. had just opened a D-Day museum, he wanted to come see what we did. The gentleman told Dad his father wrote a book about D-Day and Ste. Mere Eglise. Dad immediately responded that he has it and read it. Dad was quite taken back by the chance encounter. The gentlemans name is Maurice Renaud.

Since then, they changed the museum to the WWII museum (something I didn't agree with). I got Dad a brick with his name on it and I don't know where its at now they have redone everything and built new areas. I also get deluged with mailings asking for $$$ all the time. It gets a bit annoying. The plans I received showing the proposed new structures when the change was being made looked more like a space station than a museum. Like I said, haven't been there in almost ten years but I really have no desire to go back.

Greg

post-118-0-32606100-1364691618.jpg

Tasken_Lander

Feel I must chime in.

I used to work there (2009-2011). I was part of the opening ceremonies (back in June 2000) as a teenaged re-enactor (THAT was an exciting time!! I got to 'hand deliver Stephen Ambrose a personal message during a beach landing public re-enactment).

Even as a teenager in '00, I was less than impressed w/ the artifacts, exhibits as I think, as a re-enactor, I was used to being around this stuff. To this day it STILL bugs me how barebones some of there mannequin displays are. Their Invasion US Soldier's helmet doesn't even have chin straps. Nor does he have a first aid pouch, bayonet or ANY ammunition bandoleers/belts of any kind on him...

This aside, for a causal museum goer who's not as steeped in WWII history/militaria as we are, I can see how/why its so popular as it is a perfect representation of the American spirit/experience at its best.