353rd FG P-51 Pilot Grouping part 2

JDK

Lt. L. Pletz Post #2

Following up on a post by manayunkman, he asked me to share the grouping of Lt. Pletz who flew P-51's with the 353rd Fighter Group 352nd Fighter Squadron 8th AAF. To aviation enthusiasts he flew a well known plane. ( Donna-mite ) Named after his wife

I bought the group from Peter over 2 years ago before he was posting much here on the forum. I would like to share the group that he has posted some prior info on and expand it with more details and more photos. Enough of the back story now onto the group.

Lee flew with the 353rd from mid 1944 until the end of the war. According to paperwork in the group he finished operations with 4 confirmed ground victories, 3 probable ground victories, and 1 damaged in the air.

The Whole set:

post-22-0-94139700-1399232284.jpg

His Dog Tags and Pilot Ring

Original Gun Camera Film. I had this developed and there is about 4 minutes of running time. There are clips of him strafing a German Airfield scoring hits on planes. There is another sequence of him strafing a German Barge on what appears to be the Rhine. Last there is clips of him strafing gound positions. The last is tough to really make out but it appears to be colums of German vehicles on a dirt road.

post-22-0-92346300-1399232712.jpg

post-22-0-37737600-1399232715.jpg

post-22-0-16773400-1399232717.jpg

Last but definitely not least there are 3 photo albums and scrapbooks. 1 is wartime, another is from his wartime wedding, the last is prewar. I am just going to get into the wartime photo album since that is what most will want to see. There was also about 100 watime negatives that I will share a few of.

post-22-0-34669100-1399233854.jpg

post-22-0-10155300-1399233857.jpg

post-22-0-43447500-1399233859.jpg

JD,

Thanks for posting your collection.

Brings back memories.

Do you have a current photo of the A-2 that the present owner sent you ?

In one of the scrap books aren't there clippings from letters he sent home describing his missions ?

And lastly is there mention in the pilot log ( or somewhere else ) of strafing Me-262's ?

I think Pletz married up because Donna is an attractive girl and Leroy is... well.... he was my friend.

Many thanks for taking the time out to do this.

I love it.

JD,

Thanks for posting your collection.

Brings back memories.

Do you have a current photo of the A-2 that the present owner sent you ?

In one of the scrap books aren't there clippings from letters he sent home describing his missions ?

And lastly is there mention in the pilot log ( or somewhere else ) of strafing Me-262's ?

I think Pletz married up because Donna is an attractive girl and Leroy is... well.... he was my friend.

Many thanks for taking the time out to do this.

I love it.

No problem M.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the A-2 in its current state. I thought I did, but can't find them. It was in pretty rough shape, but the patch and the artwork on the back were still good.

I can look thru the Logbook regarding the 262's. I didn't remember seeing that, but there may very well be and I could have missed it. There are tons of letters home and postcards, I just didn't get into photographing it all. It's such a huge grouping. I also skipped out on the cool wedding photos of him and his best man in their dress tans.

JD

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks Rob. There is some really great photos in this group. There's tons more. If I get some more time this weekend, I will try to add some more.

JD