M1 Garand, I Need help getting its backround...

usmc1mt4mech

usmc1mt4mech

I have aquired an M1 Garand serial numbers in the 370,000's. US Issue, Oct 1942 production date.

Its welded/de milled, and barrel is plugged

The trigger assembly comes out and the stock comes off easily.

Welcome to the forum.

Although I cannot help you out, there will be a bunch of guys who can give you some good information coming right up!!

Are you trying to find out who may have had it? Is that what you are asking?

If you post the full serial number, I have the SRS data, which all the recorded serial numbers from the national archives. I can check it against those.

If you want to know if it's original or not, or a rebuild, post pics of it, and I can tell you.

99.9999% of all M1's are not original. They may be correct, but most have been made that way, sometime in the past.

Whatever I can find out would be cool, where and if it was in combat is my main wonder. sn 378,302

More than likely yes. About every M1 made prior to 44 went straight over the pond to one or the other theater. There is no way to know for certain, as there isn't a hit in the Archives. But especially that early, the chances are more than likely it was involved in something.

Edit: this is not the For Sale section and the topic starter does not have the required posts to post for sale ads.

This is the second time this quest for info has been used as an ad to sell this rifle.

Well, the CMP gets $345 plus shipping for welded drill rifles. Unless your rifle has some rare parts that were not welded up I'd think that might get you in the ballpark.

I would agree,$300- $400 to the right person.Nicer than a resin copy but most would want a shooter.A buddy picked up a Springfield manufactured M1 recently that was Blue Sky import marked way under $500.Yesterday I saw a 4-45 barrel dated with lock bar sites.Wasnt intrested in looking closer at it but it was priced at $1,050.00.There were others available from dealers and walk-in's in all ranges

Heres more, all the numbers I can see, for the best detail in pics I can send em direct or theyll be too small to see.

US Rifle, CAL .30 M1. Springfield Armory, 378,302

Trigger Assm. # D 28290-2 SA

Receiver #s REP 1 9 B D 28291-14 SA

Barrel has 7.62 NATO

Charging Handle D 36382 8

From what Im guessing and you guys are telling me its the real deal, but with a crappy unfinished drill stock.

Ahh crap... USGI 7.62NATO barrel. What a rifle to turn into a drill rifle.... UGH

The 7.62NATO BBL gives it away. it's a rifle the Navy had rebuilt into Mk 2 mod 0 or Mk 2 Mod 1 shipboard rifles. The Navy used these as watch rifles when in port, and to shoot sharks.

It would have been rarer and worth more as a 7.62 Garand. But since it is a drill rifle, the price doesn't really change much.

I sort of agree the price is usually around $350 for a drill rifle.

Usually I tell people on them, they are worth the sum of the parts. If you have a really nice EMcF cartouched stock on it, I've seen some EMcF stocks hit as high as $600. So I would say a baseline is $350, but if you have any rare parts on it, that aren't welded, and still serviceable. It might be worth more.

The only fully functional thing after a little oil is the rear sight.

The stock is od as well its not stained, and has a inch thick rubber pad, is this the drill stock or part of the 7.62 conversion or a crap replacement?

Theres no cartouches just a 4 digit number hit in with the hammer punches.

As norton said, it depends on how bad the welding was.

Sometimes you can undo the welds enough to get the barrel off if they aren't bad. Then you can go from there in reactivating the rifle.

Some say the welding ruins the receiver, but there are a LOT of reactivated rifles out there. But only a qualified armorer should attempt it.

Since the Trigger Group comes out that can be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you trying to find out who may have had it? Is that what you are asking?

If you post the full serial number, I have the SRS data, which all the recorded serial numbers from the national archives. I can check it against those.

If you want to know if it's original or not, or a rebuild, post pics of it, and I can tell you.

99.9999% of all M1's are not original. They may be correct, but most have been made that way, sometime in the past.

I have a question for you reguarding just such a search... "Do you have any SRS Data on Springfield Armory Serial Numbers in the 1.4 mil and 2.5 mil range?" I would love to find out something like that about mine, that would be just awesome.

Sounds like a drill rifle. I have seen one that sounds similar to this in a auction. The seller wanted $400 for it. But im no for sure on a good estimate price because I havent really looked into training rifles.

I have a question for you reguarding just such a search... "Do you have any SRS Data on Springfield Armory Serial Numbers in the 1.4 mil and 2.5 mil range?" I would love to find out something like that about mine, that would be just awesome.

I have all the SRS data. But it's very incomplete. You might have one serial number listed in a range of 5,000. The very early ones pre war were documented a lot more than after the war started. After the war started, there was not very accurate records kept. There is very little chance your serials would be a hit. But if you want pm me your serials and when I get time I will look them up to see if you have a hit.

philliephanatic

cplnorton, did you request the SRS data from the archives, or did you find a book out there with that information in it? I am curious to find out if my Garand is in there, but I don't want to trouble you to do the work for me.

I think he said he had the SRS DATA, but I am sure he is very buisey lately. I haven't heard back from him yet. I did send him a PM with my serials, but as I understood it, the data is incomplete during WWII, etc. But it's cool if he don't find mine in the data, I can only hope that there is perhaps one that I have that is listed.

I am still catching up on my e-mail, but as of yet I havent heard back. I think I read somewhere else that even the folks that have all the data that they could get, still don't have 100% of all rifles, but they do have a lot of serial numbers to go through, thats just the way it has been with the SRS DATA. I think somsone said it kind of fell off because of the War, and a change over from the guy that use to take care of the info, if I read it right and remembered it right. Someone correct me if I am wrong, Thanks... HILLBILLY-06

Hey sorry guys, I'm right in the middle of a move. I have the SRS data which was sold in the 90s on 3.5 floppy disks. It was very expensive back then, like $900 or some crazy number. It just lists the serial numbers they have found in the national archives.

I don't mind looking up serials, but like I said very, very few will be hits. Only the pre war guns were really documented much. After the war started most of the records were not kept well.

You can send me serials. Just give me a week or so to catch up with the move and I will get back with you.