WW2 D-Ration Molding Kit Out There?

msuaaronc

Looking for a D-Ration mold kit. Let me know if anyone on here has one to sell or know of where to get one. Thanks!!

Aaron

The other option is making your own mold. I have used Smooth-on products for mold making but I have never used the exact product that they are using for the D-Bar mold. I am not sure if you would have to use the vacuum chamber or if there is a less scientific methods that would give reasonable results.

http://www.smooth-on...p?galleryid=434

I have this kit but I have yet to use it, it looks good quality and has a couple of recipes.

I really like that dealers items!

LF

Thanks Dave and LF,

I came across both of those websites before posting on here for help. wwiirations is out of stock and so I opted to be notified, the second website just is to "scientific" for me and would need an original D-Bar. I have 2 but am not opening them. I guess I will wait to be notified when in stock. Thanks!!!

Aaron

I work with making rubber molds on a regular basis. If someone was willing to supply me an Original D Bar to be used as a pattern, I could easily pull a couple of molds for them gratis.

Chris-

• 1 month later...

I work with making rubber molds on a regular basis. If someone was willing to supply me an Original D Bar to be used as a pattern, I could easily pull a couple of molds for them gratis.

Chris-

[/quotLet`

Chris-

[/quotLet`

I hope someone gets in touch.

In the absence of an original mold, I use a 9 cell mini bread pan. The size is just about right. mark the cells to 7/8ths of an inch and fill it to that line when making the bars. After the bars set, you would need to file the lines in the top of the bar. The pans I have and use were about $10 bucks from the baking section of the hocal Hobby Lobby and can make 9 bars at a time in one pan.

• 3 weeks later...

I make my own D Bars, I made a wooden copy and then cast runner moulds.

DRation005.jpg

I mixed things up a little bit once I got familair with making D Bars for our Belgian trips and added a Jack Daniels chocolate flavored center. Yep I know its not period correct, but those (J) D-Bars sure are a morale boost when stomping through snow and windswept Belgian countryside...

Below is the chocolate factory in progress..

Drations.jpg

I've made up to 72 before so everybody on our marches gets a bar...and the Veterans like them!

DRations010.jpg

LibertyMarchandothers2012133.jpg

LibertyMarchandothers2012131.jpg

Drations009.jpg

wwiirations got their D-ration molds back in stock and so I bought one. So easy to pop these rations out! After you pour the chocolate in the mold, let it sit in fridge to harden...it comes out of the mold with no problem at all and it doesn't even look like the mold was used! And yes, they have other excellent products and cheap as well.

Costin - what/how do you wax the d-ration boxes? Also, I have only melted chocolate chips for the testing phase but want to make an original tasting batch but the recipes out there are meant for large batches. I don't want to make my kitchen into a D-Ration factory! Also, is paraffin wax even edible? This was listed in the ingredients. All i found it at was auto stores...

Aaron

Member_2114

wwiirations got their D-ration molds back in stock and so I bought one. So easy to pop these rations out! After you pour the chocolate in the mold, let it sit in fridge to harden...it comes out of the mold with no problem at all and it doesn't even look like the mold was used! And yes, they have other excellent products and cheap as well.

Costin - what/how do you wax the d-ration boxes? Also, I have only melted chocolate chips for the testing phase but want to make an original tasting batch but the recipes out there are meant for large batches. I don't want to make my kitchen into a D-Ration factory! Also, is paraffin wax even edible? This was listed in the ingredients. All i found it at was auto stores...

Aaron

I'm not sure what Paraffin wax is, we used to have paraffin stoves here, so it sounds a bit dubious to put in food. However when I have made original recipe D Bars with oat flour, vanilla flavoring etc, I have found carnauba wax works very well to make sure the melted choclate flows smoothly and easily into the moulds.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/foodchemistryfaqs/f/carnauba-wax.htm

The waxing of the boxes? Candle wax, heated outside in my workshop in a tin on camping stove, and I wear a pair of leather workman gloves to gently dip the cartons in. Been using this method for over 250 D Bars cartons and it works well. But just do it carefully!! Melted hot wax hurts like hell.

Aaron

http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingfaqs/f/faqparaffin.htm

-Josh