104th Div.-555th AAA AW Bn (Mbl) Grouping

Timberwolf

Hey everyone,

This is a recent 104th grouping I picked up. This Timberwolf served in "D" battery of the 555th AAA battalion. I was able to speak with an officer that served in "D" battery and he said this man was in his unit and that he served on a half-track mounted quad .50. The most exciting thing for me was the Timberwolf Fox hole newsapaper. To me this is really rare because this was something that really was made to be read then thrown away. Also included were some leaflets that he picked up from the battlefield, with a clipping from a letter stating that fact!

The main grouping. He doesn't have CA collar brass but MP; the reasoning behind this was many men from the 555th served as MP's in in a separate MP unit in Antwerp cleaning up black market activity, as confirmed by the officer I talked with. Interesting to note though I asked the officer if they continued to wear the 104th patch as I thought they may have wore the ETO COM-Z patch or other higher command. He said they wore Timberwolf the whole time, which I though was pretty neat.

001-8.jpg

Customized 1st Army-555th map w/ signatures his Capt. and Battalion CO.

007-5.jpg

Photos of the newspaper

002-7.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

005-6.jpg

And last but not least the leaflets he picked up. I found two more but I didn't get to photograph them yet. Any info on these at all?

006-6.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!-Ben

Very nice addition to the collection! I agree with you, I really like the newpaper also. It is interesting to see who received the Air Medals.

Thanks guys! I was really happy to get this grouping! I hadn't encountered anything from the 555th so I pleased to add it to the collection.

Very nice grouping, it puts such a personal side to the items we collect. These are the type of things that mean't a lot to the vet and thats why they kept them all these years, thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,

Dan

• 8 years later...
Blankenship

My father was in this squad. Norman Blankenship. He was in battery D group. Is there a name to go along with this awesome display? I became a Timber pup years ago and have looked for some of the missing ( after service) soldiers. There was reunions for many years but I doubt there are any of these brave men left. They saw some horrors. My father was also one of the men assigned as military police. He guarded the bridge against the looters after the war ended.

WIN_20210308_09_55_51_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210308_09_56_46_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210308_09_56_11_Pro (2).jpg

23 minutes ago, Blankenship said:

Norman E. Blankenship

dads555.jpg

Great photo! My guy was a D Battery fellow by the name of Melvin Cerull. Did you dad ever save his uniform?

Blankenship

No... she did another hitch in the Army and then joined the airforce. All his things were stolen from our home in NE. All military photos. And his other things were left in MO.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:47 AM, Blankenship said:

No... she did another hitch in the Army and then joined the airforce. All his things were stolen from our home in NE. All military photos. And his other things were left in MO.

That’s unfortunate to hear. One of this soldiers daughters still has his uniform. I need to try and track it down one day.

• 3 years later...
Blankenship

Is there a name within this memory box. My father was in 555th battery d, shot 50m half racks. Was left as a MP after the war to guard the bridges from looters.