Survival Radio Help

Awheeler

I have a very nice 1967 dated AN/Prc-63 Survival transmitter. The only information I can find on this little guy is that his kind was made from 1964-1973 and that he was used by the Navy. I could really use some help finding information on this radio. I seem to remember reading that LRPs and SOG men used these fellows in the field before the multiple frequency survival radio debuted in the early 70's. Then again, I may be talking out of my hat. So help me out if you can! It is exactly like the pics on the web.

northcoastaero

The AN/PRC-63 survival radio was used by USN/USMC and possibly the USCG also in the survival vests. For the USN/USMC,

the vests would be the modified SV-1, SV-2, SV-2A, and SV-2B. The USCG may have used it in their modified SRU-21/P vest.

The automatic deployment device may possibly be used if installed in a seat survival kit. The radio-beacon would then be activated

upon ejection from the aircraft or during seat-man separation. I do not know about LRP or SOG use.

northcoastaero

Also, I have seen a few of these radios for sale in the past. Never saw a contract date on the data sticker other than 1967 or 1968. I

believe the radios could have been in use in the 1980s along with the AN/PRC-90 series. These radios replaced the AN/PRC-49

series and were replaced by the AN/PRC-90 series.

• 6 months later...

I have a PRC-63, an RT-10, an RT-60, four URC-4's, seven URC-11's, and five PRC-90's. My PRC-63 starts transmitting the beacon without the trasmit key being pushed when you apply power, but maybe it's supposed to do that - I donno.

Check out this website, specifically the Portable Radios article by Alan Tasker.

http://nj7p.org/Common/History/Histories.html