Riker Box

skautdog

Is the material (packing) used in Riker Boxes safe to use for long term display/storage? I'm talking about the white fiborus material and would like to know if anyone has had problems with the material breaking down (like foam does), fading on items or sticking on items.

Thanks!

I have not had any trouble in 20+ years of using riker mounts - however I lay felt pieces between the white material and the medals etc. that I display - gives it some color.

Bill

Thanks. The color is a great idea. Sometimes I read so much about acid this and buffered that and this??? I get concerned about leaving any item on anything.

• 2 weeks later...
foxcompany1944

I usually use Riker mounts because its easy to display and it protects any items in the cases from dirt and dust.

• 1 year later...

Archivists say Riker mounts aren't for long-term storage. Probably depends on a number of things--humidity, what's in the mounts, etc.

I have heard that the colored felt hurts Medals on display. It seems that there was a comment made on the forum a few years ago, because that comment, I have never used felt. Now Bill is a long time collector, so I will to give him the nod.

I have been using rikers since the early 80's easily...they have never caused any ill effects that I noticed...the colored background is the trouble area...no colored sponge material or that applied backing sold at the shows...go to Michaels or any store like that and buy the felt like I have pictured...I do beleive it to be very stable...

2009-01-01 003.JPG

2009-01-01 004.JPG

I use muslin as a buffer between the padding in rikers.

sometimes other fabric if I want a specific color or look.

I would stay away from most colored felts.. the dye in them is very unstable.

I personally wouldn't leave items just on the batting for any long periods of time.

-Brian

I have had insignia and items in Riker cases for about 20 years and I have not had any issues with the items inside. I really like to use the riker cases for displays.

Leigh

I have never had a problem with the felt as far as breaking down or dis-coloring any items placed on the felt...I looked up the label bio...

• 100 % Synthetic Craft Felt - Machine Washable and Dryable, colorful and cost effective. Materials include Acrylic, Polyester and Rayon in 100%s and blends
Made from 100% Eco-fi®, a high quality polyester fiber made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles. Machine wash and dry Fade-resistant Cuts cleanly with no fraying Can sew and glue easily