Zero Dark Thirty

tom2001

I finally got around to watching " Zero Dark thirty" and " Argo" I enjoyed both movies but HANDS DOWN

Zero Dark Thirty was the better one in my opinion, never a dull moment, the acting was amazing and the story was riveting. Even though Argo had a Ra Ra ending , it was little to slow for me , as was " Lincoln" I enjoyed the story but I fell asleep over and over and had to keep rewinding the movie to catch up, " that's not a good sign.. hehe.

Nancy

Daughter of a WW2 US Marine

history-buff1944

Thanks for the thoughts on BHD--I know a Marine who hated the film--not sure why? but for some reason--he didnt care much for General Garrison either? Called him a pogue.

CHASEUSA11B

Thanks for the thoughts on BHD--I know a Marine who hated the film--not sure why? but for some reason--he didnt care much for General Garrison either? Called him a pogue.

Seriously? General Garrison a POG? I certainly hope the Marine in question has some pretty stellar credentials to call a Phoenix Program Vietnam vet, Purple Heart recipient, Delta Force, Special Forces Veteran a POG. I think some people just like to insult others to make themselves feel big.

Well we Irish definitely know what a pogue is? lol

• 3 weeks later...

I watched it over the weekend. My wife pretty much summed it up by saying, "They could have cut half the movie out and the audience wouldn't have missed a thing."

I couldn't helo but snicker at the scenes where they go Area 51 for the SEALS to be shown the stealth blackhawk. They have no idea why they're there, but show up in their multi-cam uniforms. Yeah, I'm sure they let them on at the JANET terminal dressed like that at Las Vegas for the flight over there... NOT! They'd have been there in civvies, if at all (the idea that they'd only test them there is pretty silly anyway). After that scene, it was pretty hard to take the movie that seriously for accuracy.

It is worth watching once, but I can't see too many people ever watching more than that.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw it and was transfixed. In fact, I thought the last 30 minutes - the 'takedown' was the least interesting part of the movie.

Having worked in and around Army intel for most of my 23 years on active duty the movie mostly rang true. Developing intelligence isn't at all like the TV series '24'; developing intel is the slow, steady and often frustrating grind that was so very well depicted in the movie. I think they got the whole atmosphere correct, and that impressed me more than I can say.

I also came out of the movie realizing it would not win any major awards. The movie did not explicitly and unequivocally condemn water boarding and other 'enhanced interrogation' techniques and therefore was guilty of apostasy in the eyes of the Hollywood elite. But watching the lead character Maya slowly morph from someone repelled by the interrogation sessions into someone who believes they yield useful and actionable intelligence is something to watch.

It is a great movie.