Finally got one!

bellasilva

I know that Graves Registration would take fingerprints of KIA that were disfigured beyond recognition. I suppose having a thumprint on the dogtags to compare with would be helpful. Maybe this was before fingerprints became part of the normal information collected for all soldiers/sailors.

• 4 weeks later...

I know that Graves Registration would take fingerprints of KIA that were disfigured beyond recognition. I suppose having a thumprint on the dogtags to compare with would be helpful. Maybe this was before fingerprints became part of the normal information collected for all soldiers/sailors.

That's right, I recall it's mentioned in one of the Pacific episodes of the early 70s documentery series The World At War, even showed footage of Marines doing this, on either Peleliu or Iwo holding a dead man's hand and looking at his fingertips and holding in the other a tag.

Also, our thank's to Mars&Thunder for posting the etiching method.

nice tags with great history glad you were able to win this one unlike the okinawa marine vets tags

Thanks, I do have a couple Oki-vet tags but was looking for some who were more boots on the ground. I have one coming in today from a Marine attached to the V Amphibious Corps, I believe he landed on Iwo. Pics to come

Here it is. Warren H Karmol enlisted February 1943 and was with the Fifth Amphibious Corps FMF as early as 10/43. I wont know for sure until I receive his personnel file but I believe he landed on Iwo. This was purchased from forum member awmartin who shipped it super fast.

post-104906-0-73763900-1360283045.jpg