Finally got one!

bellasilva

May not seem like much to everyone else but my main focus is dog tags, I've been looking for a USMC thumbprint tag for a while now and I just won my first one on ebay, so I am pretty ecstatic. That being said, can anyone help me ID his division or possibly MOS? I'd really appreciate it.

post-104906-0-41093000-1357595772_thumb.jpg

strawberry 9

That's a nice one! I don't collect dogtags so I wasn't even aware that thumbprint tags existed. Were they only done with USMC tags?

Nice one! I have 5 USN thumbprint tags, but the USMC tags seem much harder to find. I'll find one eventually!!

Great addition to your collection for sure!

Squad leader

Sgt Ira L. Monroe was an aircraft engineer in Squadron 24. (source: Muster roll)

Hope it helps.

Dan.

A quick correction.

Sgt Ira L. Monroe was in Aircraft engineering Squadron 24.

According to his MOS, he was an airplane armorer (MOS 911).

Dan.

Thanks for the feedback, gents. I see USMC tags on the bay fairly frequently but thumbprint tags not so much..so would that be MAG-24?

Johnny Signor

Thanks for the feedback, gents. I see USMC tags on the bay fairly frequently but thumbprint tags not so much..so would that be MAG-24?

I believe it would be the "SMS-24" or Service Squadron -24 under MAG-24's control .

Johnny

Looks like Monroe was with MAG-21 2nd MAW, and as Squad leader said, was an airplane armorer. Here's the short wikipedia history of MAG-21:

MAG-21 suffered 17 casualties and all 21 of their aircraft were destroyed during the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor.[5] Squadrons from MAG-21 fought at the Battle of Wake Island, Battle of Midway and as part of the Cactus Air Force during the Battle of Guadalcanal but the group itself remained at MCAS Ewa until February 1943 when they departed for Banika in the Russell Islands. By June 1943, MAG-21's squadrons were fighting large scale operations against Japanese installations in the northern Solomon Islands. The group moved to Efate in November 1943 and remained there until June 1944. Their final destination during the war was on Guam where they were based from August 1944 until the end of the war.[6]

shortly before the Battle of Midway

The squadron returned to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in March 1946 with follow on movement to Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina. They were deactivated in April 1947.[7]

Yep, I'm happy :love:

Nice pick-up! Where did you get the grave pic?

Terry

findagrave.com, I figured with a unique name like that he wouldn't be hard to research.

Very nice tag indeed ... it always a nice experience when you research and find informations about the original owner B)

mars&thunder

Regarding the question about how fingerprints were etched on the tags....

usmcwwiidogtags.com says:

According to the naval regulations that were in force at the beginning of the war, each man's fingerprint was required to be etched to the unmarked side of each tag. The process involved applying the fingerprint with printer's ink, then sprinkling the area with finely powdered glisonite or asphaltum which would adhere to the ink. Once the ink had dried, the excess powder was removed by simply blowing it off. The dog tag was then heated to a temperature slightly above the boiling point of water and permitted to cool before being placed into a solution of nitric acid, hydrochloric acid, and water for a period of one hour. Upon completion of this process, the dog tag was dried and was now imprinted with the wearer's fingerprint.

This explanation sounds very much like the one I have read which explained how it was done for WWI navy tags.

Thanks everyone. Just checked the tracking and it should be here in a couple hours. So now that the thumbprint topic is up, i'm curious if anyone knows exactly why early USMC/USN/USCG dog tags had thumbprints at all? We all know tags were for ID purposes, on and off the battlefield, but I highly doubt if someone was KIA the thumbprint would be used to "make sure"..or is this info lost in the wind? I'm interested to hear what you all think