LCpl Joshua A 'Scotty' Scott

Brig

joshua_ascott01.jpg

Born December 13, 1981. From Tunnel Hill, GA. Joshua Scott entered the Marine Corps Infantry, being assigned to the newly formed Anti-Terrorism Battalion, Bravo Company, First Platoon, Second Squad, Second Fireteam as the Automatic Rifleman. His team leader was then-Corporal Brian Mitchell, and his team leader was then LCpl Harrie. I met Scotty when I was assigned to Anti-Terrorism Battalion, Bravo Company, First Platoon, First Squad, Second Fire Team. Scott was always eager to help the new 'boots' get use to life in the fleet in the infantry. We trained together through many grueling evolutions on Camp Lejeune. When Bravo and Charlie Companies merged, he took over his fireteam. In June of 2005, we were sent to Israel on Operation Noble Shirley. After only a week, he received a Red Cross message. His daughter had been born. We smoked cigars and patted him on the back. The next day, another message came. His daughter had died. However, she had been revived, and he was sent home early. He was rendered non-deployable and assigned to form up CAAT 3. However, when it came time for both Bravo Company and CAAT 3 to deploy, he was deployable. He tried to come back home to us, but the Battalion refused. We departed on different days. However, while in Kuwait, awaiting insertion into Iraq, I saw Scotty again in the chow hall. I shook his hand and told him I'd see him when we all got home.

On the night of January 23, 2006, at 2000 Iraq time, we had our typical night brief. Our Platoon Commander informed us that we'd lost one of our own. Scotty had died in a non-hostile vehicle accident outside of Al Taqqadum (TQ), Iraq. While in the turret of the lead truck on a night patrol, the convoy came up behind a Haji civilian who failed to follow the established rule that civilians must pull over out of the way of US Military vehicles. An Army convoy was coming the opposite way. The driver of the lead truck swerved to avoid a collision, and the truck rolled, crushing Scotty in the turret. From what I learned later from the Corpsman on scene, he died awaiting medevac, along with Pvt Lewis T D Calapini.

After we had been informed of Scotty's death, our First Sergeant, who had snuck behind the platoon, talked to us. For many of us, all on our first combat tour, it was the first personal friend who had become a casualty of the war. Those of us who had been with him from the start gathered in a hooch, listening to songs that reminded us of him. We recollected the good times. We laughed and cried at the same time, the most painful feeling I've ever felt. Scotty left behind a wife and seven month old daughter, and we found ourselves asking why he had died and not us, us with so little to lose and him with so much. That night many a Marine lost his faith along with the loss of our brother.

Scotty, you are missed. You will never be forgotten. My friend, my brother. Semper Fi.

Name: Joshua A Scott

Nickname: Scotty

Branch: USMC

MOS: 0311 Infantry Rifleman

KIA: January 23, 2006-Al Taqqadum, Iraq

Awards: National Defense Service Medal, Iraqi Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon

teufelhunde.ret

Tim, hopefully the day will come when you can share with his daughter your times & friendship with her Dad. It will mean a great deal to her. RIP Scotty. s/f Darrell

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...

14 years ago tomorrow...hard to believe it's been that long, his little girl must be nearly grown by now...he still crosses my mind as often as he did back then

RIP Brother...

This was our flag on the FOB, lowered to half mast the day we lost Scott...

196719_4075202354_3988_n.jpg

• 4 years later...

18 years today...his daughter is now all grown and had to do it without him.

Whoever said time heals all was full of sh*t

Miss you brother.

Kurt Barickman

Yup , I feel for you and his family; 54 years for me and I still get chocked up every time I think about my brother if ☹️

Kurt