Burlap helmet cover

2ndInf.Div.

Since I now have a M1952A flak vest, I'd also like to make a burlap helmet cover out of a sandbag for my Korean War impression. The problem is, I don't really know how to cut one up so it fits nicely on my M1 (I've already gone through a few sandbags trying to do so). Does anyone have any pictures of a burlap cover they made and how they got it to fit well?

Go to a fabric store....get a sq yard of burlap. Cut it into a rough circle, fold it around the helmet cutting off excess. Cut some slits for the flaps (look at a Vietnam era cover). I then used duct tape to secure it in place at the top of the pot, insert a liner, and wet. After, dried, you can removed the duct tape if you like. Remember the idea behind the burlap is to break up the outline of the helmet from those ^%^&$$ commies across no man's land. The crappier it looks, the better it blends. ;)

If you're all out for using a real sandbag.....cut one long side, and the short side opposite the opening....but it will require much more wetting stretching and heartache than needed.

Go to a fabric store....get a sq yard of burlap. Cut it into a rough circle, fold it around the helmet cutting off excess. Cut some slits for the flaps (look at a Vietnam era cover). I then used duct tape to secure it in place at the top of the pot, insert a liner, and wet. After, dried, you can removed the duct tape if you like. Remember the idea behind the burlap is to break up the outline of the helmet from those ^%^&$$ commies across no man's land. The crappier it looks, the better it blends. ;)

That's right Baron, 2nd Inf Div will have to cut a large circle, but 2nd Inf Div, you don't what to make the circle to small, then there won't be enough material to tuck between the shell and the liner, if that happens you just wasted a signifcant amount of the cloth, and it can't be used, making you start again with another piece of cloth, so don't be shy, as Baron says any excess must be trimed away anyway, when it looks like you have the correct circumfrerence and it takes under between the liner and the shell, then just wet it, wring it out good, and place on and over the shell snugly and shove the liner in. Down the line though be prepared to kill yourself if you try to seperated the shell and the liner, it will be held together quite FAST.

Also if you do get Burlap or Hessian from a store make sure it is 100% natural fibers, some burlap cloth this day and age may be of a Poly blend especialy Hessian or thick Muslin, if it is undyed hessian you can always dye it with any Greens, Browns to make it drab looking. Post it after your done, I'm sure everyone with an interest would like to see how you did.

Possibly I can be of some help. While assigned to the 82nd and 7th Divisions, both units used burlap to cover their helmets. I'll try to talk you through the process as I don't know how to post photos. First, cut an over-sized circle of burlap. Center the piece on the helmet shell dome. Fold the 9:00 o'clock under (inside the shell), and tape it. Repeat at 3:00 o'clock. Pleat the excess burlap about the helmet before repeating the 12:00 and 6:00 positions. Cut an opening at each bail, and pass the helmet strap through. Insert the liner. Place the helmet band into position, which will hold the pleats in position. We used a piece of thin cardboard, cut a leaf-like tear drop, placed it on the burlap in random places, and painted the opening black to create a camouflage. End of process. Hope this is of some help. Jack Angolia

Brigade-Piron

I also did this with an M1 for my Korean War impression. Contrary to what you might think, the burlap covers used in Korea seem to have been quite tightly held to the shell, not loose and baggy like the an Israeli helmet cover. Anyway, it helps if you can find some string and make some broad stiches around about 2 inches from the brim. That way it stays closer to the shape of the helmet. Anyway Baron is absolutely right - wetting it a couple of times after fitting is the key!

a large piece of old tire tube will also help hold the cover on securely and make the cover look moulded to the shape of the shell if you leave it on the helmet for a while

the Israeli's often used old tire tube helmet bands with their burlap covers on their M1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
garandman114

I know I am resurrecting an old thread here, but thought I would post a picture of my attempt at a burlap helmet cover. I had the wwii helmet for KW reenacting, but wanted to give it that distinct Korean War look. Total cost was around five dollars for the yard of khaki burlap at the local fabric store. Was a bear to fit just right and I had to cut all manner of excess once I had it where I wanted it and tape down the remainder inside the steel shell, but I think it turned out nice. I also ran the shell under the sink in hot water with the liner in (careful not to get the liner wet) to let the excess burlap form to the shell then dried it off in front of a space heater for a few minutes.

image_zps2f79447a.jpg

garandman114

Interesting how the guy on the left has excess baggyness in the fit of his cover- since these weren't a QM issue item, it looks like it varies how well they form to the helmet from soldier to soldier. My cover has some bigger pleats in the back like that, but the hot water rinse seemed to take care of most of that.

garandman114

Thanks patches, it's actually a later band with cats eyes I think. I got a pile of em at a surplus store and picked the one that looked best. I need to get a wwii type at some point, but turned it with the cats eyes facing in for the time being until I get a "gen u wine" KW or wwii helmet band. It's not completely correct yet, but will work ok for the moment.

-Charles

Thanks patches, it's actually a later band with cats eyes I think. I got a pile of em at a surplus store and picked the one that looked best. I need to get a wwii type at some point, but turned it with the cats eyes facing in for the time being until I get a "gen u wine" KW or wwii helmet band. It's not completely correct yet, but will work ok for the moment.

-Charles

Yeah you want to avoid the cats eye late 70s to current type, but since it is for reinacting, and barring getting a corect WWII type, a 60s one will do fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...