2 AAP accronym

VolunteerArmoury

VolunteerArmoury

One of my early M1910 packs (with the laced on meat can squared strap ends) has the unit initials of 2 AAP over crossed cannon tubes with an E Company letter below the tubes on the meat can & the same on the pack except with Company D. Does that accronym for a 1910/20s era unit sound familiar to anyone? So far I've not found anything but I'm guessing Anti-Aircraft or such. Unfortunately I never seem to be load a photo of it which I'm proud of my four early packs. Thanks.

Marchville1918

It looks familiar to me and I think someone here identified it before. I don't remember the specifics but I think that the "P" stood for "park" . It must be some sort of artillery formation.

Probably for Army Artillery Park. There were two during the First World War-- First Army and Second Army. Only the First Army Artillery Park served in France from June 1918-May 1919. The Second AAP was organized Oct 1918 at Ft. MacArthur, CA and demobilized Dec 1918 still at Ft. MacArthur. Second Army in France was supported by elements of the First Army Artillery Park.

VolunteerArmoury

Thanks for your replies. I've ended up finding another one today with the same 2 AAP except on a later 1915 dated M1910 pack though I didn't purchase it. I received this from a colleague at Command & General Staff College:

"Chad,

It appears to be the 2nd Army Artillery Park. The AAP, 2d Army, was based out of Fort MacArthur, CA from October to December 1918.

The Second Army Artillery Park was ready to sail, but did not reach France. An Army Artillery Park consisted of three sections: 1) the motor section of 6 truck companies, 2) the depot section, consisting of a headquarters and 3 park batteries, and 3) an attached mobile ordnance repair shop. The whole park consisted of 1 Lt. Colonel, 3 Majors 14 Captains and 13 Lieutenants and 1,930 enlisted men. The motor section of the park was to be used to supplement the ammunition service of the army artillery units. The depot section was the repository for all spares of cannon and all other materiel for units of army artillery. The attached repair shop was used to affect the more important repairs for units of army artillery that could not be affected by the troops locally with their own repair facilities.

Generally an Army Artillery Park consisted of these vehicles: 1 Ambulance, 8 five-passenger cars, 13 rolling kitchens, 92 motorcycles with side cars, 168 three-ton cargo trucks, 15 ration and baggage trucks, 5 artillery repair trucks, 8 light repair trucks, 3 equipment repair trucks, 5 supply trucks and 12 tank trucks.

From CMH's WWI Order of Battle

Not sure what the "E" stands for as there appears to be no E Battery, unless it was one of the truck companies."

• 5 years later...

I hate to resurrect old threads, but I actually found another one, a 1915-dated RIA, with markings for the 2nd AAP as well, but with a "G" on the bottom. Infantry units that would be a company, but would the G be a battery for an artillery unit?