Iwo Jima UNIS marked HBT

Through the kindness of a fellow forum member I was able to acquire this for my collection. 1st Lt. Richard Dyer was part of the 13th Marines on Iwo Jima. His UNIS marking a Rectangle with 4341 inside of it, denotes the 5th Marine Division, 1st Lt.,13th Marines, 4th Bn., H&S Battery. I am not a collector of Officer's materials but acquiring these UNIS marked items is difficult. This Marine served until 1962 when he retired as a Major. He clearly held onto this HBT far beyond when it was still serviceable. No doubt it was treasured due to his service on Iwo Jima.

post-7194-0-92735300-1357522772_thumb.jpg

Great purchase!

What does the back look like?

One just sold like this on EBay last week, check my blog below I just wrote about it.

Great find!

Leonardo

Corpsmancollector

Fantastic P41, Alec. UNIS marked uniforms are even harder to find than UNIS marked field gear! I have a documented P41 which belonged to a corpsman attached to 2/27 who served on Iwo Jima, marked in an almost identical way. Wonder whether the 5th Division had regs about UNIS marking clothing on the right chest?

Thanks for posting,

Will

Squad leader

Great find!

It looks like the P41 jacket which is pictured on page 32 of Iwo Jima 1945 by Derrick Wright (Osprey, campaign #81). I am almost sure it's the same jacket.

Dan.

Very nice P41, Alec ... a similar one sold on Ebay a few weeks ago but I haven't been able to win it :(

Kurt Barickman

She is a looker Alec! That group came out of his hometown recently and I doubt it was photographed for a book but I could be wrong.

Kurt Barickman

It went for cheap, a little over 400 if I recall correctly.

Yes, you're right Alec ... it was related to a Lt, 13th Marines.

She is a looker Alec! That group came out of his hometown recently and I doubt it was photographed for a book but I could be wrong.

Kurt Barickman

Kurt,

The photography was taken in 1945 on Iwo Jima. There's a strong resemblance between the UNIS markings.

post-1681-0-67702100-1358105521_thumb.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Very true but Dyer did not look like that though. Good research and eye for detail.

Lirt

combat-helmets

Fantastic P41, Alec. UNIS marked uniforms are even harder to find than UNIS marked field gear! I have a documented P41 which belonged to a corpsman attached to 2/27 who served on Iwo Jima, marked in an almost identical way. Wonder whether the 5th Division had regs about UNIS marking clothing on the right chest?

Thanks for posting,

Will

I have a P41 utility jacket from the 5th Divn. marked on the left side of the chest....????