1968 USN VX-6 Antarctic pilot's cap

Flightpath

Hi,

a number of years ago I found this lovely cap on Ebay, with the pilot's name, rank, wings, squadron and even the aircraft number embroidered on it...... who could resist?

VX-6cappage011_zps6b6575d7.jpg

Researching the squadron and even the aircraft was quite easy, VX-6 was the first USN squadron to be used exclusively for Antarctic work and the first to get the HC-130F Hercules with skis.

Bu.No. 148319 was one of the four that went to VX-6 in 1959 and they spent the next 40 years serving in the Antarctic. '319' had an eventfull life, once being involved in a take-off accident she was left in the snow and elements for almost two years, then restored to flying condition where she stood, flown out to the US for overhaul and returned to serve in VX-6 then VXE-6 for another 20 years!

319rescuecolour-1.jpg

I searches for other items related to VX-6 and '319', I have cruise books for 1967 and 1968 and found this VX-6 patch in Christchurch, New Zealand where VX-6 aircraft left for their long flights to McMurdo.........

AIRDEVRON6patch120mmx135mm.jpg

There were plenty of photos of '319' around so I picked up a couple.............

LC-130319VX-6photo.jpg

Lt. Com. Bill Simpson was harder to research, finally I found a website where I contacted some ex-VX-6 aircrew who knew him. One of these great guys helped me with some photos taken in the summer of 1967/68, he was Bills navigator in '319', it was Bill's last year and the young nav's first with the squadron.

319-Crew2-1967-68LCdrSimpson02.jpg

Lt.Com. Simpson wearing the cap, on it can be seen the small penguin pin that is still on the hat, it was given to the crew members of '319' (Penguin Express) when '319' passed 10,000 flight hours (the reason the above photo was taken).

Hope this has been interesting for you guys, I'll continue with a couple more photos later.

cheers,

-John

It has been quite interesting to see your items and the story behind them, they are certainly one of those seldom encountered and typically unheard of areas of military and aviation. Thanks for posting!

MW

Thanks MW,

yes, this part of US military history and service is fairly unknown, maybe overshadowed a bit by the war in Vietnam.

'319' is now mothballed at Davis Monthan AFB, Arizona............

148319DMAFB21-1-07.jpg

A group of ex VX-6/VXE-6 members have been trying to save and restore '319' as a memorial to the 50 servicemen that died while attached to VX-6/VXE-6 in Antarctica, so far there is no positive response to trhis from them with the power to help them.

cheers, -John

Here's a few more items I've picked up to go with my VX-6/LC-130 interest,

This is an ASI from an early C-130 Hercules (Type K-3) and a Waltham A-13A clock (type used in the C-130). Corgi make a very nice diecast model of the LC-130 Bu.No.148320, it served with VX-6 & VXE-6 at the same time as '319'.

IMG_0384_zps36d53206.jpg

few more things, patches, US Antarctic medal, clocks, nav and stopwatches from the 1940s, 50s & 60s..........

IMG_0353_zps35b5f80d.jpg

I'm running out of space fast, it's not a huge problem because lack of money fixes that! :)

cheers,

-John

Hi,

I'd like help to find out more about Lieutenant Commander William A. Simpson, Jr; apart from the little I have from the VX-6 vets I only have this from the net..........

William Aaron Simpson Jr., LCDR, age 72, died on 7 November 2004 at the Navy Hospital in Pensacola, Florida. William served with VX-6 as a LC-130 pilot during DF-67. Simpson Crags was named in his honor..............

Simpson Crags:

(74°24′S 162°45′ECoordinates: 74°24′S 162°45′E) is a series of rugged crags descending southeast from Mount Baxter of the Eisenhower Range and forming the south wall of O'Kane Glacier, in Victoria Land. Mapped by United States Geological Survey (USGS) from surveys and U.S. Navy air photos, 1955–63. Named by Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names (US-ACAN) for Lieutenant Commander William A. Simpson, Jr., U.S. Navy, aircraft commander with Squadron VX-6 during U.S. Navy Operation Deepfreeze 1967.

How do I find out more about his service as an aviator in the US Navy?

cheers,

-John

Thanks MW,

yes, this part of US military history and service is fairly unknown, maybe overshadowed a bit by the war in Vietnam.

'319' is now mothballed at Davis Monthan AFB, Arizona............

148319DMAFB21-1-07.jpg

I saw it at Davis Monthan last year when my dad and I toured the boneyard during a Naval Airship Association Reunion. One his buddies had crewed on these ski-equipped airplanes so he was anxious to get a photo of one to send to his buddy. He took a nice one, but I don't have copy.

Very nice, well organized thread. The hat was once in my possesion and was sold on ebay. Glad to see you take it to the next level with your research, congrats

Very nice, well organized thread. The hat was once in my possesion and was sold on ebay. Glad to see you take it to the next level with your research, congrats

That's interesting irish,

do you remember where you got it from (in Florida?) Any information about Simpson?

cheers,

-John

If I remember correctly it was purchased at the SOS Military Show in Louisville Kentucky about 10 years ago or so. No additional info on Simpson, I do not recall where the person I purchased it was from. Sorry I am not more help

• 4 years later...
Flightpath

Thanks for the reply long ago irish, I was going to re post everything again especially now Photobucket has my photos for ransom......... John

post-105780-0-36691900-1499575325_thumb.jpg