usaaf flying scarf ?

littlebuddy

was there an original issue scarf to the usaaf personnel ??? if so could anyone give me the details etc of one ?? thanks carl

Johan Willaert

As far as I recall there is none listed in any WW2 USAAF Equipment list.

You do see some airmen wearing white scarves no doubt made out of obsolete parachute canopies...

Or they would have worn what other GIs wore, scarves knitted at home by family or Red Cross chapters, or bought one from a shop or issued on base (eg British made models)

As far as I recall there is none listed in any WW2 USAAF Equipment list.

You do see some airmen wearing white scarves no doubt made out of obsolete parachute canopies...

Or they would have worn what other GIs wore, scarves knitted at home by family or Red Cross chapters, or bought one from a shop or issued on base (eg British made models)

oh right !!! just bear with me and ill post a photo of something i have found !!!!! :) what about this then ???

post-106122-0-27138200-1357477396.jpg

If you already had the evidence, why pose the question?! I've collected USAAF items for years and must confess I have never encountered such an item nor seen reference to it. However, your example seems to indicate that they did officially exist. Like Johan , I would have said the characteristic "flyers' scarf" was either made from a piece of salvaged 'chute silk or else was a private / PX purchase. If any member reading this has a copy of the USAAF QM catalog of the period maybe they can look it up?

sabrejet , i posted the question first as i didnt want to look like a nugget like i did with my patches thinking that they were original and most wernt !! so i thought id just post the question to try to reassure myself ! i have looked at some books i have and at the moment i cant find anything , i do have a flying clothing and survial publication by the usaaf but it must be buried amongst all this stuff somewhere !!! if i find anything ill let you know ! sorry to be a pain carl

i have got personal equipment officers publications from 1943 and 1945 cant find a thing in either of them !! as you say sabrejet if anyone has any earlier quatermaster catologues it might be listed in them ! thanks carl

I'd have to agree with Ian. I have never seen one from World War II. I would imagine that they were available for private purchase.

Just out of curiosity, were flying scarves issued to those who flew open cockpit panes? This scarf clearly isn't one of those, but I was wondering if such a piece was EVER issued?

so you all think this is repro then ??? i shall have to get it took out of the plastic bag and open it up to see if there is anything else printed on it !!!

I wouldn't necessarily label it as a fake/repro. You just need to do more digging. If it's any comfort, remember that the US QMC was a VAST entity, with THOUSANDS of items in its inventory.

i have the sweating book so i shall have to have a trawl through that !! or if you know of anyone with a copy of a quarter masters book from the correct period that could help ??? thanks carl

what makes you say that ???

I haven't seen that format in other period stamps, the "order no" doesn't make sense, and the font looks modern.

I have been collecting AAF for over 12 years and have never heard of or seen that. I would tend to think it is a fantasy piece. Silk scarves were widely used but were private purchase items vs being issued. In Italy and the CBI scarves were commonly embroidered with squadron insignia, names, planes, and other things and sold by local artists. They pop up fairly regularly on eBay.

JD