US Navy Pics 1922 San Diego

M60 Driver

I have had these pics for awhile and thought I had better post them for posterity. These pics are photos of the fleet stationed in California in the early 1920s. The cruiser is I believe the USS San Diego (ACR-6). The larger sub tender may be the USS Howard and the sailor who took the photos may have been stationed aboard the Howard as there is a liberty list from the Howard that came with the photos.

post-779-1204330059.jpg

Great shots! thumbsup.gif I think the USS San Diego sank in 1918 off of Fire Island NY....so some of these images predate 1920.....thank you for sharing these neat images.

Further research leads me to believe it might be the USS Charleston (C-22) as I too just read that the San Diego sank in 1918.

Steindaddie

We're looking at two different cruisers. The first looks for sure like USS Charleston but the second, by the name on the stern, is very definitely the USS San Diego ! It was the only major US warship lost to enemy action in WW 1 and was torpedoed right off the American coast near NY. Given that distinction, perhaps the sailor who had these great photos purchased a pic of the San Diego or picked it up somewhere after the fact?

You also have a pic of the submarine S-4 which was accidently rammed and sunk with all hands in 1927.

Interesting too in that the hulk of the USS Charleston is not far from where I live in Washington state - it is used as a breakwater up in British Columbia.

Nice pics and great subjects !

Will

• 4 months later...
General Apathy
Eat and sleep as one

Hi M-60 Driver, regarding your photo in post #7, interesting shot here, it appears that they are using old newspapers as table covers, good insight into life aboard ship mid-wars. Not normally too interested in

Navy stuff but I have enjoyed the shots you have posted. Also what strikes me is the style of the submarines, they appear very ' modern ' in comparison to the ships they are moored alongside.

I suppose I should clarify my interests as vehicles and uniforms, it is very possible to own either of these

items, but more difficult to own a battleship

Cheers ( Lewis )

sub
Notice how low the guy in the foregrounds crow is? almost below the elbow. Undress blues was my favorite uniform and I used to wear my white hat just like this guy. The good old days.

Steve Hesson

Great photos. I always enjoy the WW1 photos and having served in the Navy I especially enjoy the ship photos. Having toured the Battleship Texas here in San Jacinto I sure am glad ships improved by the time I served on the Blue Ridge. I used to wear my white hat the same way.

As to the photos if I may make a suggestion on your scanning. Being really anal about getting as much detail out of my scans I found that NOT scanning the white border allows the scanner to better determine the proper exposure in scanning. That does depend on the scanner and software used to some degree of course.