Raleigh Militaria Show

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Just got back from the Raleigh Militaria Show. As usual it was good to me. Didn't have much money so I figured I'd take some trade goods, and see what would happen. Took a mint Utica guard marked M3, 2X K98 bayonets, and a Finnish M62 bayonet( had since 1976). Sold a K98 bayonet, while waiting in line to get in. Sold the other later. Tried to talk a dealer into a direct trade for a mint PAL guard marked M3. He said, yes, plus $100. I had to think on it. Finally sold the other K98.With the bayonets sold I had $130, plus $9 after entry fee. Ran back over and did the trade/cash deal. Dealer had $425 on the PAL, I traded the mint $150 Utica, and $100. So for $250 I felt it was a real fair deal. Couldn't sell my mint Finnish M62, no one really knew anything about it, or what it was worth. Probably the rarest bayonet at the show, have only seen the one I own. Never saw any others, not even on ebay. Saw Thorin6, but didn't get a chance to talk, he was busy. As usual a good show for me. Went to the show with $15 total, made deals, and came home with $39. Good show--"GO". SKIP

Sorry GB! I have no photo capability with this PC. It is a nice one. As nice as the Utica. The other PAL guard marked I have was reground at the tip, good work, but an inch too short. Needed full length blade. I'm happy. SKIP

Nice, don't see too many mint any more... And at a good price.

After all of these years I still don't have a Pal M3. Almost bought a nice one at the show that used to be held at the Michigan State Fairgrounds but I was short of cash and the guy was not looking for trades... Love the Pal knives tho. Someday.

Jim

Jim- I've been fortunate enough to have all three versions of PAL M3s.Blade-dated, blade. and guard. Plus I picked up a PAL, w/ ground guard markings, but top of guard was marked Utica. At some point Utica made M3 guards for PAL, unfortunately, blade had been ground to double edge. Also, of the 37 original M3s I own, 11 are mint, some w/ M6 scabbards. We have other collectors on this site I know have more, and higher mint numbers than I. What I'm saying is they're out there, just got to be patient. It's only taken me 46 years to accumulate my M3 collection. Seriously! SKIP

Sorry I missed you, SKIP. Not sure why I was busy but I did alright. Between selling and buying I'm only down $80 and came out with a WWII helmet liner, ENGR KRES shoulder holster for the M1911A1, a number of magazines (M16, M14, M1911A1, M1 Carbine), and, of course, a knife.

Picked up an EGW with the 7-1/2 inch blade; I wanted the leather scabbard for my WWII Mark 2 Camillus with the screw in pommel and thought for $40 it was a good deal to get the knife and the scabbard. I have a longer leather scabbard which fits the EGW and the knife is really good shape with the leather handle being solid and the blade being lightly sharpened with no rust or staining. Of course, setting up early has it's advantages, as I picked up the EGW prior to the show opening (along with the helmet liner and shoulder holster).

Also, I saw one of the straight guard, smooth handled M3 Case knives. Only marked with CASE on the guard, it was one of the nicest I've seen. The dealer wasn't selling it as he had just picked it up and hadn't decided on how much to ask for it.

I also need to mention my Queen City 6-inch fighting knife; I picked it up a couple of weeks ago at the C&E show in Raleigh from a dealer whom I've known for awhile. It came at a reasonable price, and it's nice and came with the leather scabbard. I've been looking for one for a while, and they always seem to go high on ebay.

Thorin6- I was on my last pass. You were at Dan's table talking to someone, around 11am-ish. I was gonna swing back by to see what you picked up, but got busy with 3 other collectors from work. After that I split. It was as usual a good show, and social event. See you at the next one.