Let's see your military-related photo(s)

fstop61

Last one for practice. This was taken in 1978, was with 5th Special Forces Group. Thanks for teaching me something, and getting some experience. SKIP

004.jpg

Learned to put pics in "jpeg" mode when scanning. This is a parachute jump from a Huey, Gatun DZ, Mar 1989. I'm the guy in the back waving on take off.

Parachute Jump Huey Gatun DZ Mar 1989 Panama 001.jpg

These photos are from MFF {HALO} School May 1979. I'm in the pics (yellow jumpsuits students}, not sure which guy. My buddy who was strap-hanging took the pictures from the hinge of the wind deflector of a C-141 (the green curved piece). These had to be really cut down. Hope I didn't lose any vital parts to the pics. SKIP

SKIP HALO School May 1979 005.jpg

Let's see if I can get a couple more. We jumped from 12,500 ft. for training jumps. Our oxygen jump was at 20,000 ft. The first pic came out great. Got that rush just looking at it. Instructors are in black jumpsuits. SKIP

SKIP HALO School May 1979 006.jpg

Believe this is the same instructor. He's already stable. They would literally fly within a few feet of us, until just before we opened. SKIP

SKIP HALO School May 1979 007.jpg

Last one. "Yellow Frisbees". Believe me, I was one. Drop Zone was Sicily, FT Bragg NC. At that time we used MC1 parachutes. Basically a T-10, with a big oval (35 square foot), and continuous risers, that you removed a pin so you could steer. No toggles in those days. SKIP

SKIP HALO School May 1979 008.jpg

littlebuddy

Im attending an airshow over here in the uk at RAF Waddington next weekend so all being well there will be some piccys of lots of aircraft !! thats if anyone is interested ???

LB

littlebuddy-Love to check out all the A/C pics. Like to see how the UK does their shows. Ours are all getting cancelled, due to budget cuts. SKIP

littlebuddy

littlebuddy-Love to check out all the A/C pics. Like to see how the UK does their shows. Ours are all getting cancelled, due to budget cuts. SKIP

Ok Skip no problemo !! there might be a few more British aircraft than US but im sure you wouldnt mind !!

we were out on Saturday at a small fishing port called Whitby on the East Coast of the UK When out of the blue the Lancaster Spitfire and Hurricane did a fly past !! what a lovely sound !!

LB

@littlebuddy.That all sounds good with your Air Show photos. But please bear in mind littlebuddy that this topic is reserved for personal service photos of members when they served in a branch of the Armed Forces, whether it was in 1953 or 2013 (Foreign Military I guess will be cool, that will ultimately be up to the Mods). These photos of yours at the Air Show will fit in a new Topic started by you here in Photos or in the Aircraft Forum.

Been out of the net all week. Swag- This is a really great photograph. It almost has a "Doomsday" effect, or like a moth flying into the flame. Very cool picture. Pic says a lot. SKIP

• 2 weeks later...

Now the Alaska pics, got alot of them, these are but a few.

These are on the Glacier above the Black Rapids Training Facility July 1981, check out my mountain boots, this was the very first time I wore them, wore them way into the 80s after I got out, afterwards they just died.

post-34986-0-50174700-1374373562.jpg

These next two are of the Cross tied down on top of one of the Mountains above Black Rapids, as we see it's a small one, that had it's place, alot of guys as we see left all sorts of mementos of unit crests, calling cards pinned to it in thanks, and to show one made it to the top of this mountain, one guy left a Yellow Taxi bussiness card, from Fairbanks, a off duty cabbie? :lol: getting to the top did involve some rock climbing to get to the peak (don't remember the name of this edifice now unfortunetly)

post-34986-0-26265500-1374374533.jpg

post-34986-0-34394000-1374374519.jpg

Black Rapids glacier area again, without the soft cap, as this day the Balaclava was proscribed as head gear of the day.

post-34986-0-77478600-1374374710.jpg

The Manchu mural Painting on the third floor 1st Platoon area of our A Co Barracks, July 1981. It lasted about a year till beautification of the whole barracks commenced, it was sadly painted over.

post-34986-0-15180300-1374374868.jpg

This one taken out of our platoon orderly room, shows the boys heading out to the field on a frigid morning in November 1981, a Company level FTX. I was a doing some extra tidying up in the room, gathering up the Platoons C-rats with another guy to haul downstairs to the back of the Barracks to load on to a Gamma Goat, so I snaped this quikie photo, as it was a decent looking image from the window. Of special note is the White Steel Helmets, we spray painted them White for the winter of 81-82.

post-34986-0-11838100-1374471697.jpg

From the same field Problem, on this particular day overwhites were ordered to be worn, we were intructed always to pack them in our rucks in winter, no telling if and when they would be proscribed for wear, it would just depend on what the CO wanted. The wearing of the Parka was most unpopular for a couple of reasons, one of which was because of the difficulty in fully buckling the pistol bet, as we see some used dummy cord to close both ends and keep the belt around the body.

Note the back of the helmets, we see Black Ticks, this was Electrical Tape, a inter Battalion tac-mark, I unfortunetely don't remember the procedurals involved, I,m seeing what? two tics on one guy, the other guy may have this second tick covered by his chin strap snaped to the rear of the pot, if so, that was odd since we were the 1st Platoon A Co, ie the First unit in the First unit of the Battalion, one would think we would have one tick, it must of had a differant meaning, but damned if I can remember, that starts to happen after all these years :huh: But I do recall alot still as we see, so I not to far gone yet :lol:

post-34986-0-10612800-1374472760.jpg

This one is of Troops of Canada's Princess Patrica's Canadian Light Infantry, can't remember, (there I go again :lol: ) what actual unit it was, I think it was B Coy, 1st Battalion? maybe member Wolfman might know, he was a Pats in the mid to late 70s, they were based in Calgary, that I do remember, we sent our B Co to Calgary to train in exchange.

The photo was taken in late December 1981, and they stayed something in the order of two weeks. I had the honor of being a member of the Color Guard detail at the Officers Dining In given in honor of the Canadian Officers of the Company before their departure back to Calgary. A very memorable night, firstly I got to see the 9th Infantry's famous Manchu Bowl up close, and drink from it the punch that's made to mixed in it, and lastly but not leastly, I got a chance to see our Battalion Executive Officer, Medal of Honor recipent Major Drew Dix up close and personal, in his Mess Uniform with the Blue Max at his neck.

My only regret is that I did not take more photos of our Canadian commrades when they were with us. One night a couple of my regular buddies and myself hung out with a few of them at one of the drinking holes on post, the post field house? or whatever it was called, it was near the PX, they were a swell group.

I remember my platoon aggressed against them one day and night, and they were tidying up after our skirmish, one of the PPCLI Sergeants starts bellowing out orders to his guys, and chewing out another, my Squad Leader, goes See! Sergeants are the same in any Army!, I thought that was funny :lol: and true :lol:

post-34986-0-86734200-1374474538.jpg

This one is of Troops of Canada's Princess Patrica's Canadian Light Infantry, can't remember, (there I go again :lol: ) what actual unit it was, I think it was B Coy, 1st Battalion? maybe member Wolfman might know, he was a Pats in the mid to late 70s, they were based in Calgary, that I do remember, we sent our B Co to Calgary to train in exchange.

The photo was taken in late December 1981, and they stayed something in the order of two weeks. I had the honor of being a member of the Color Guard detail at the Officers Dining In given in honor of the Canadian Officers of the Company before their departure back to Calgary. A very memorable night, firstly I got to see the 9th Infantry's famous Manchu Bowl up close, and drink from it the punch that's made to mixed in it, and lastly but not leastly, I got a chance to see our Battalion Executive Officer, Medal of Honor recipent Major Drew Dix up close and personal, in his Mess Uniform with the Blue Max at his neck.

My only regret is that I did not take more photos of our Canadian commrades when they were with us. One night a couple of my regular buddies and myself hung out with a few of them at one of the drinking holes on post, the post field house? or whatever it was called, it was near the PX, they were a swell group.

I remember my platoon aggressed against them one day and night, and they were tidying up after our skirmish, one of the PPCLI Sergeants starts bellowing out orders to his guys, and chewing out another, my Squad Leader, goes See! Sergeants are the same in any Army!, I thought that was funny :lol: and true :lol:

attachicon.gifcanadaians.JPG

I believe your right it was B-co but I must confess that my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be . I remember meeting some of the men you sent us they were a fun lot. I talked with a few lads that went up to visit with you and they said it was a blast. Thanks for posting this photo

Hey Wolfman, did you guys have Rum, the scuttlebutt was Canadian Troops like British Troops had Rum Rations, I never found out if this was true :lol:

Hey Wolfman, did you guys have Rum, the scuttlebutt was Canadian Troops like British Troops had Rum Rations, I never found out if this was true :lol:

If we did I never saw any of it bloody SGT must have taken it :o:lol: