the best tanker jacket repro

Sgt.MikeHorvath

I will be in Osaka in october.

I will try to remember to ask you before I leave, but i will be after the Tokyo show.

And I'd better stop hijacking this thread :P

Thanks for your help.

The only thing Sturm is making still in Europe, in theory, is the wool cloth for german uniform repros (then ship it to China).

Everything made of leather, they bring from India.

i'm not sure that STURM produces even one single part of their uniforms themselfes - even not fabric ...

currently i life in Beijing China due to my job and i have a slight idea about those uniform tailors!

you can buy EVERYTHING you want here - the tailors usually have catalogues to choose which piece of garment you want to be produced (mainly business suits) ...

prices are unbeatable ...

got a complete set of US ARMY HBT Camos here for equal of 90 dollars - the set i ordered from ATF some time ago was twice the price + shipping (ordered it with longer legs usually all pants are way too short for me) ...

in general Chinese people copy everything - see pics of my 6 months old motorcycle

Chang1stUpgrade01klein.jpg

Chang1stUpgrade05klein.jpg

also US GI equipment is availbe here ...

2 of those musettes are original - 2 are repop (1 Sturm - 1 chinese) - which one are the copies?

ReproMusette01.jpg

i know this japanese guy producing tankers also ...

on the pics his garment looks PERFECT

unfortunately most of the time he is sold out of the interesting items ...

have to look for the details of his homepage but will find it ...

Bellumbill

All -

I love this thread and there are some great points here. My biggest issue with reproduction tankers over the years has exclusively been the color - I have owned every repro that I know of that has been made - Including the most recent runs of WWII Impressions, ATF, and What Price Glory - all of which I find are cut just fine and fit well once you get your size in their respective versions straightened out. So, fits can be monkeyed with, color cannot.

Over the years I have personally owned at least a dozen original tankers, some dated some not, and have seen literally hundreds of these things at military shows, museums, other collector buddies, etc., and I have NEVER seen one that has ANY shade of green associated with the jacket at all. In my opinion these jackets were brown, I don't understand why reproducers cannot seem to grasp this basic issue and continue to make them some shade of green.

Currently I wear a Rickson jacket which, while not being exactly the color I would like to see, at least is not green.

My worthless two cents! :)

Thanks for reading, best to all!!

Bill K.

All -

I love this thread and there are some great points here. My biggest issue with reproduction tankers over the years has exclusively been the color - I have owned every repro that I know of that has been made - Including the most recent runs of WWII Impressions, ATF, and What Price Glory - all of which I find are cut just fine and fit well once you get your size in their respective versions straightened out. So, fits can be monkeyed with, color cannot.

Over the years I have personally owned at least a dozen original tankers, some dated some not, and have seen literally hundreds of these things at military shows, museums, other collector buddies, etc., and I have NEVER seen one that has ANY shade of green associated with the jacket at all. In my opinion these jackets were brown, I don't understand why reproducers cannot seem to grasp this basic issue and continue to make them some shade of green.

Currently I wear a Rickson jacket which, while not being exactly the color I would like to see, at least is not green.

My worthless two cents! :)

Thanks for reading, best to all!!

Bill K.

is there any contact data to this Rickson guy available?

maybe a homepage and maybe some pics of his Tankers?

Bellumbill
is there any contact data to this Rickson guy available?

maybe a homepage and maybe some pics of his Tankers?

You can buy Rickson jackets from Eastman (UK) and History Preservation Associates here in the US - Hope this helps

Best,

Bill K.

You can buy Rickson jackets from Eastman (UK) and History Preservation Associates here in the US - Hope this helps

Best,

Bill K.

THX for the hint!

Got him via Google - lots of other interesting stuff on his HP ...

• 8 months later...

Not even sure where,or whether to start.I am not of the intent to start a fight. I've only owned 2 originals,they were my dad's and were issued at Ft. Knox. I wore them in the late 70's as a winter coat and to play in. He wore them before me,one he wore more as an everyday coat and the other to work on car's. The everyday coat was a brownish color,the work one was almost the color of a welder's tarp,a dark OD color.Remembering that red and green make brown and knowing that some wartime uniform dye bath colors contained iron,I wonder if that's where the brown came from in fading and oxidation? Got me.The green being rather dark I always attributed to the oil and dirt of working on car's,when it got washed a few times and faded while I wore it,it turned almost "parson" jacket green. I've seen only 2 unissued originals at the DoD's storehouse,they were both about the color of 43 jackets,but with less sheen due to the different material then 43's,which also reminded me more of a Carhart jacket material then sateen (the winter combat jackets that is).The green one I owned literally rotted off my back and the brown I gave to a girl in my unit a coupla weeks before Grenada.I know this neither solves anything nor answers anything,just makes me think that with a huge number made by different makers that maybe,colorwise,all the repops are all right by the same standards as the originals. As to who makes the best repop, I believe you should check everyone's you know to see which seems best what you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted everyones help here, im still looking for a tanker jacket. I dont mind if its khaki whats more important to me is the fit, im looking for a trim fit. anyone know who makes a repro for what im looking for?

has anyone here purchased one from At The Front?

I own an ATF Tanker Jacket and to be honest it looks just great now it is weathered and worn in.....i also have a STURM but i prefer my ATF one.......but i must admit those Vintage production ones look great.

Regards

Lloyd

I bought my tanker jacket from this guy here in Germany, LOMAX http://www.lomax-militaria.de/de/ . I guess it's a Sturm, no manufactuer label, it doesn't have GI wool blanket lining, which "I" think is good, I'm pretty happy with it, but it would probably cost a small fortune to send it to the States.

cimg0805.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Well,

I hate to burst a couple of peoples bubble but..At The Front's is for all those who are "khaki-wacky." Horvath, if you WANT THE BEST. You go to Juan at WWII Impressions. I've seen originals and compared his to them and his is spot on. Not to mention his material is properly dyed to fade like the originals. They were NOT khaki when they arrived to the soldiers. Their original color was more of a pea green. Not to ALSO mention he has the proper zippers on his Winter Combat Jackets.thumbsup.gif

I got mine from Juan and can't say enough about it but... ITS THE BEST OUT THERE....thumbsup.gif

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

I hate to disagree with you Friscan, but having seen mint originals issued in a light beige, khaki color..At The Front's are pretty spot on, especially the new generation ones.

I would agree with that ^ I was happy enough with my At the Front, and now they've released these new ones that look even better again!

Who is the Asian vendor that has been noted as making one of the best in this topic? I haven't seen them before, they repro anything else?

• 1 year later...

Your stuff is incredible!!!

I bought the wool trousers & shirt from you and ATF.

Sold pretty much everything else except your products...the shirt is top end, and comparing it to mint unissued originals in my collection there was absolutely no difference. The only problem was a weight lose so the trousers do not fit.

The tanker looks awesome as does your denim. I actually directed a Civilian Conservation Corps Museum to you to purchase denim uniforms. They were going to buy original for the living history program, I suggested that they could for the same price buy several sets and wahs them a few time to age them and they would look great for living history impressions...not sure if they did or not...this was several years ago.

Cheers

Yes we did get a small order from them. I hope it all turned out well.

Thank you for your business and I am glad we were of service.

I have the new copy of the tanker jacket first and second model from At The Front and I have one tanker bid... near mint and is really and near same collor

Just 65 years old of difference...

• 1 month later...
Sgt.MikeHorvath
I have the new copy of the tanker jacket first and second model from At The Front and I have one tanker bid... near mint and is really and near same collor

Just 65 years old of difference...

dear Filthy,

can you take some photos about your tanker jacket first model?maybe also while wearing it?

thank you very much ;)

My husband has an At The Front tanker. I have an Eastman, several years old. While his is nice quality, side by side, I can honestly say that the Eastman is superior. The color is slightly more pea green, and the materials (both the lining and the exterior) are heftier. The construction details just seem better. The jacket seems more structured - not as baggy/blousy as some of the repros.

He also owned one from SM Wholesale (I believe made by Sturm), that he ended up selling off. I can't remember much about it other than it was pretty lightweight. I don't recall the quality being great.

And for what it is worth, I've seen several originals and they varied from pea green to a medium khaki. Remember that every single tanker jacket produced from 1941-45 wasn't dyed in the same batch. Colors varied. Also... dyes fade over 65 years, even if not exposed to sun or elements.

i have a Buzz Rickson jacket and its the best

ive owned an ATF,zipper too long,joined rib little hings like that for all the Rollin thunder just didnt measure up to a real one

ive seen Juans and it was pretty good,the cloth was from the same cloth as his very vibrant green jumpsuits so it kind a threw me of at first

ive had a look at the jacket nearly 3 years later and it looks awesome

the Buzz was crazy expenive

• 5 weeks later...
Horvath, I pulled these pics right off of the ATF website.

I actually think they look way better in person.

Here ya go.

us_uni_tankeri_tag.jpg

us_uni_tankeri_main.jpg

Is normal that zipper are ending on top of bandage or ends in middle of bandage? I saw original and zipper was ending in middle of bandage.

Is normal that zipper are ending on top of bandage or ends in middle of bandage? I saw original and zipper was ending in middle of bandage.

Should be near the middle.

• 1 year later...